is it possible to use pc as set top box for Verizon FiOS cable TV?

Sep 12, 2004
Yes. I use an InfiniTV4 with Verizon FIOS. The only drawback is that you can't do PPV with a cablecard tuner. Other than that it works great. If you have more than one TV you can set up an extender, or extenders, over a network and save a chunk of change on STB rentals as well. The card will pay for itself within a year.

Sep 12, 2004
Yep. Then you have to cross your fingers that you contact a Verizon tech that knows what they are doing when pairing and authorizing the card. Other than that it's fairly simple.

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
Yeah i checked, the cost of me doing a system build out vs renting stb isn't worth it for me.

Was worth a shot to save some $ though

wetech

Jul 16, 2002
Yeah i checked, the cost of me doing a system build out vs renting stb isn't worth it for me.

Was worth a shot to save some $ though

you wouldn't be paying for DVR service as well. The diff for me was a reduction of about $20 / month.

Tegeril

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2003
Only if you have an activation code. So with the initial order it should be fine. But if you have to swap it they sometimes don't send a code with the replacement card and then you have to call.

=\

brainhulk

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2007
does the picture look any different when using a pc? (i have a 3770k and gtx 560ti)

How is the user interface? different? better? worse?

Sep 12, 2004
The picture doesn't look any different with a PC. Actually, it can look better because you have finer controls to tweak the picture through nVidia's control panel settings.

As far as the user interface, I think Media Center is leaps and bounds better than of any cable system, particularly when enhanced with the MyChannelLogos add-on. ime, the only UI that comes close is the one by DirecTV.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
totally get a cable card. I have an infinitv and i will never go back to having a crappy set top box that takes 10 seconds to chagne between channels and with a crappy interface. windows media center is amazing for watching tv.

gaidin43

Jan 30, 2012
TiVo is another solid option as a replacement stb for FIOS. It has extenders via other premiere boxes or tivo mini. You can stream to iOS devices on your home network, it has Hulu plus, Netflix, YouTube, amazon instant video among other things. It can also be programed remotely to set up recording via iOS or android app or webpage.

Over all it's the best off the shelf replacement for set top boxes out there. You only need a cable card for it to work. I also use an HTPC for my bluray playback and website browsing, but you can push recorded mkv's that have been encoded to the TiVo and watch it natively through that UI.

If you are looking for a PVR set top box replacement it's hard to go wrong with a TiVo. There is an upfront cost but it pays for it's self in 2 years depending on your current billing.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Media Center is a great product, it just isn't being actively developed anymore. I'm waiting to see what Microsoft will replace it with (hopefully something related to the next Xbox).