Is it possible to use a wireless router as an ethernet-to-wireless bridge?

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I'm trying to hook my PS2 up to the interweb, and I didn't want to run a wire from downstairs to my office upstairs where the DSL connection and modem are. So, I went out and bought 2 Speedstream 2624 wireless routers, and i'm trying to figure out how to hook things up.

Where i'm at now:

I have the first wireless router installed upstairs at the computer. It's plugged into the DSL modem, and my PC is also plugged into it. Everything works fine in this regard.

My problem is that i'm not sure how to configure the other router so that it will have my PS2 plugged into it, and then pass the traffic wirelessly upstairs to the other wireless router and then out to the internet. So do I just turn off the DHCP server in the other route and assign the router an IP address and that's it? :confused:

Thanks for your help. :)

dmurray14

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2003
uhmm.....i don't think it works like that. As far as i know, you can't make a wifi router be a bridge...it will always be a router. Once again, i'm not sure....but I don't think it's gonna work. You should really return one of the routers and see if you can get one of those linksys wireless bridges or the likes- I think that's the only way to make it work.

Dan

Linux23

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
i think you need a specific WAP bridge to extend the WiFi signal to where your office is.