Is it possible to upgrade my DSL Modem/Router

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
I got a 2wire 2701 router with the purchase of their dsl internet service. The software/port forwarding is atrocious, speeds are slow, and I demand gigabit speeds, and perhaps wireless n but not really necessary.

Unfortunately, this 2701 device seems to be both the modem and the router, and the popular routers I have looked at don't seem to have a RJ-11 telephone cable jack for the phone as far as I can tell, which is the DSL thing. I've always had cable in the past. Can I buy a new, good router, dsl compatible, and will it work fine with Bell? Will I still have to depend on the 2701? What will I need to know other than the mac address? (which is conveniently written on the 2wire sticker).

I was looking at something like this http://www.ncix.com/products/i...655&manufacture=D-Link PS: My biggest problem with the 2wire is that I've wanted to reset it before, but I can't cus I know that redoing all the port forwarding would take a couple of hours. It's so slow and poorly thought out.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
So if i just connect the new router to the 2701, I will no longer have to use the 2701's routing/shitty software? It will automatically give all that up and I can just use the new router for all that? I'm a networking nub, and I appreciate the help.

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: TidusZ
So if i just connect the new router to the 2701, I will no longer have to use the 2701's routing/shitty software? It will automatically give all that up and I can just use the new router for all that? I'm a networking nub, and I appreciate the help.

You may have to look into putting it in "bridge mode" so it just serves as a modem.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
If it is possible to set the Modem/Router to work as a Modem only and use a stsnad alone Wireless Router, do it.

However before you go ahead make sure thaa you know How the Authentication (Id and Pw) is Done, otheerwise you ight lose your connection.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
You should be able to ask them for a DSL modem or buy one at any consumer electronics store. I have a spare Westell sitting on my desk after I upgraded to Uverse (VDSL, not ADSL). The 2wire box they give with Uverse is actually pretty decent, though I don't use it for any internal LAN devices (DMZ+ mode ftw)...except that you can't disable the wireless portion of it...weird.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
Looked into the settings, found the bridge vs routed mode and all that good stuff, and I finally discovered how to get my ports forwarded for uploading torrents by disabling NAT. That little trick has eluded me for a long time.