Question Is it possible to stop HDD from turning on?

Guliath85

Aug 2, 2021
Hello,

I have installed windows and all of the programs on my SSD. But while using the PC the noisy HDD keeps turning on randomly. Is there any way to make it "start" only when I open it to access some of the files that are stored there?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Hello,

I have installed windows and all of the programs on my SSD. But while using the PC the noisy HDD keeps turning on randomly. Is there any way to make it "start" only when I open it to access some of the files that are stored there?

Not to my knowledge. I'd bet that even if the HDD contained one freshly formatted NTFS volume without any other data on, Windows would still do that. An unpartitioned drive probably wouldn't though :) Or a drive that appears to be unpartitioned but has an encrypted volume on it that you only mount when you need it.

There are two problems: If for example you open a File Explorer window, it's going to attempt to enumerate the connected storage devices. File Explorer also has access to the recent items list. Secondly, Windows is rather chatty. Fire up Process Monitor (sysinternals tool) and even if you look at only the file activity going on with a seemingly idle system, Windows basically never stops.

One other bit of oddness with modern versions of Windows is that if you have an internal floppy drive, Windows often likes to query it for no good reason. I think Microsoft just forgot that floppy drives existed and wrote code that queries every storage device connected to the system.

I'm running Linux these days, and I recently swapped out my WD Blue 4TB data HDD with a drive that was capable of APM (because otherwise the distros I've tried won't auto-power-down the drive). The drive doesn't switch on 'randomly' any more, but opening a file manager window will (often? always?) power the HDD up because I've got pinned folders that point to that drive.

Reactions: Guliath85

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Sounds like Windows indexing. It constantly looks at your files to speed up searching. You can try disabling it if you don't use the search function.

Reactions: Charlie98

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Sounds like Windows indexing. It constantly looks at your files to speed up searching. You can try disabling it if you don't use the search function.

The Windows indexing service will only index locations that aren't your user profile if you've configured it to do that.