Is it possible to setup 2003 and share files with anonymous users?

ynotravid

Jun 20, 2002
I've got a 2003 machine on a network where I want people just be able to connect to the network and have access to certain folders without having to login.

Is this possible?

Thanks in advance.

SocrPlyr

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
add an account named Guest (if it will let you) and give them guest rights and access to the shares and you should be good to go...

Josh

ynotravid

Jun 20, 2002
Thanks for the replies,

Socr, I'm looking to cut out any need for a login. What you're suggesting is a good option but I'd like to get rid of the whole login process completely.

There is a setting in the security policy that allows anonymous logins to fall under the 'Everybody' group but even then I'm not having any luck getting it to work. There is also a rule that allows you to list the shares that are to be shared anonymously, but again no luck.

For the life of me I cannot figure out what is holdin me up.

Anyhow, thanks again guys.

dc5

Jul 10, 2004
im guessing your sharing your files over the internet? install iis for windows 2003 and turn on indexing. then put all your files you want to share in the wwwroot directory.

ynotravid

Jun 20, 2002
No, I am not sharing over the internet.

edit: I am not trying to share files to anonymous internet users.

dc5

Jul 10, 2004
install file server managment on windows 2003 then select the folder you want to share. the folder should show up in the 'my network places' under your server's computer name. image shown here

if you want to make easier to access the shared folder do map network drive on your client computers.image shown here

audiophan

May 2, 2001
this link may help, although it deals specifically with winxp pro: Text

check out page 3 - user account passwords. it tells you how to diable the login passwords requirement to access network resources. sound as though it suits your needs

ynotravid

Jun 20, 2002
good stuff dc5, audiophan.

I decided to give up and hand the duties over to a WinXP pro machine. Que sera...

SocrPlyr

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ynotravid
good stuff dc5, audiophan.

I decided to give up and hand the duties over to a WinXP pro machine. Que sera...
Actually not a bad idea
if the win2k3 box is really a server opening up guests services isn't always the best idea...

Josh

ynotravid

Jun 20, 2002
yeah, don't really got all that much choice. I need to give unrestricted access to a folder of files and nobody wants (read: "everybody complains about") to have to login in, in order to get to them.