Is it possible to put an after amrket system in the new accord?

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Or the new camry?
I ahven't seen inside the new camr, but the new accord doesn't look like it will take an after market reciever. What is the deal?

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
I'd assume you'd just have to get a faceplate/dashboard kit like you do with every other car that doesn't have a standard headunit stock.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
I'm sure they still make kits for it. That volume knob will just become obsolete and you will have a new volume knob.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
you can, there are a couple ways.

there is a dash/console kit that completely removes/replaces the dash/radio and leaves a standard DIN mounting slot, but it's quite ugly and it's expensive, $150 for the kit alone.

There is another kit that merely places an aftermarket DIN stereo into the pocket below the radio.

If you only want to hook up say an MP3 player, you can get an auxiliary input module that hooks up the stock head unit.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Why the heck did they change it so that it is hard to replace the radio?

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Originally posted by: glen
Why the heck did they change it so that it is hard to replace the radio?
Because it gives people incentive to upgrade the factory radio to the top of the line model. If you want a CD player, there's no "well, I'll just get an aftermarket one and add it later" - you're pretty much stuck buying it at purchase. The automaker gets a pretty decent profit from accessories I imagine, so it's in their best interest to sell you the upgrades.

The stock Accord stereo is pretty decent, a couple of my friends drive 06's. The only thing you might want is an aux jack for a mp3 player or an ipod, I think that's fairly easily added w/o changing the HU.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
When I was considering an 06 Accord I asked a friend of mine who is a car audio installer and he said it wouldn't be a problem.