is it possible to move out immediately after turning 18?!

caitlion

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003
ugh, so i was so excited about the house we were looking at. (i posted it in another thread).. we were ready to put the deposit down and everything. so we went to talk to them again and they said that we would need a cosigner to hold the house (they basically sign a lease to hold it) since we wouldnt be 18 until 3-4 days before our move-in date (same day for my friend). the cosigner would only need to be on the lease until our 18th birthdays and then we could sign a new lease without them. so this was understandable, and my mom agreed to do it as long as the paperwork said that she would be off the lease in october. i called yesterday just to verify that i had all the details straight so that we could go in and finalize everything. this is when they decided to mention that the lease will only be turned over to our names if we qualify. so i asked what qualifying means exactly... since we all have enough income to cover our expenses... but she said they do a credit check. now this makes sense, but the whole time weve been talking to them (about 2 months) they have told us that its fine that were just turning 18 right before we move. we obviously will not qualify now because we do not have any credit... soo grr..

so im assuming pretty much anyone else will do a credit check also. is there any way for me to move out without a cosigner? :( this is gonna suck

cliffnotes:
- want to move 3-4 days after 18th birthday
- cant build up a credit history in that amount of time, therefore will not "qualify" to rent
- how can i move out without a cosigner? :(

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
sure you can.

you may not get in the place you want but you can find someone to rent to you.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
You can move out with no credit and no co-signer:

1) You'll need to make a sizeable deposit, at least 1 month.
2) Find a roommate or two.

It helps if you have a job, use that as a reference.

caitlion

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: RossMAN
You can move out with no credit and no co-signer:

1) You'll need to make a sizeable deposit, at least 1 month.
2) Find a roommate or two.

It helps if you have a job, use that as a reference.

thanks, i hope it helps.

there are 3 of us. we all work full-time. two of us (including myself) have checking accounts (im not sure if this matters to most people, but my bank seems to consider it a form of credit) and uhh .... i dunno what else will help. there is a set deposit amount - $595, which is not bad at all... i wonder if they would let us put a larger deposit. we really want this place.

RaynorWolfcastle

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
caitlion is still alive?!?! Did you get a long vacation for one reason or another or did you voluntarily leave?

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
when apartments do a "credit check" , it is usually to see if you are a deadbeat renter and owe another landlord money, not to see if you qualify to buy a $30,000 car

if you don't owe a rental company money, you should be ok

madthumbs

Banned
Oct 1, 2000
If you don't have much stuff and don't mind roomates, try to find college houseing or similar.

caitlion

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: RaynorWolfcastle
caitlion is still alive?!?! Did you get a long vacation for one reason or another or did you voluntarily leave?

haha neither. i didnt really leave... i just have a life now :D however, im back in school and posting on atot is a lot more appealing than doing work.

caitlion

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: madthumbs
If you don't have much stuff and don't mind roomates, try to find college houseing or similar.

my future roomates and i have already bought everything we will need except food and bathroom sets. we cant move into an apartment because we have two medium-largish sized doggies.

caitlion

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT
when apartments do a "credit check" , it is usually to see if you are a deadbeat renter and owe another landlord money, not to see if you qualify to buy a $30,000 car

that would be nice, we have no debt and no credit :)

fredtam

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT

Negative. The only place it would show up is as a collection and most landlords don't go through the hassle of filing a collection. They look to see if you pay your bills and can afford the payment like everyone else.

<----landlord

JimRaynor

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2003
caitlion i saw you at compass bank in the albertson's today, you musta been making a deposit for your prepaid rent or something.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
You don't need credit to rent an apartment, you just need the absence of anything like bankruptcy and evictions, along with verifiable income that's 3 times the rent, and enough money to cover the deposit and first month's rent.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Originally posted by: notfred
You don't need credit to rent an apartment, you just need the absence of anything like bankruptcy and evictions, along with verifiable income that's 3 times the rent, and enough money to cover the deposit and first month's rent.

Ya, what he said.

caitlion

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: JimRaynor
caitlion i saw you at compass bank in the albertson's today, you musta been making a deposit for your prepaid rent or something.

i apologize but that was not me.

...if you wanna meet me just ask ;)

caitlion

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Staley8
Originally posted by: notfred

Ya, what he said.

after more research, ive decided that its really up to the place youre renting from. i think we found a nice place thats not too expensive and my dad sounds willing to cosign... i wasnt going to ask because i really want to do this on my own, but he offered and right now it seems like the best option to get a place we like.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: caitlion

...if you wanna meet me just ask ;)

Those are dangerous words around these parts;)

caitlion

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003

...if you wanna meet me just ask ;)[/quote]

>.<
[/quote]

these faces confuse me. use your words sweetie. :p

JimRaynor

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2003
Yeah... we should meet up.

Maybe you could bring your computer over sometime and we can run some benchmarks.

caitlion

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003

Maybe you could bring your computer over sometime and we can run some benchmarks.

hey now, im not that big of a nerd.

i think the worst thing i do is grab my bfs laptop and check livejournal and atot after we have sex :X

how old are you again?

JimRaynor

Golden Member
Sep 3, 2003

i think the worst thing i do is grab my bfs laptop and check livejournal and atot after we have sex :X

how old are you again?

:eek:

caitlion

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003

how old are you again?

:eek:

uh oh! well im me on aim sometime if you wanna hang out.... sn is tweakedoutduckie