Is it possible to invent a assault rifle with zero recoil?

Unheard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2003
The HK G3 has very little recoil for a battle rifle due to its roller lock design. It's 7.62MM NATO.

Thinking more on the topic, it might be possible to have the excess gasses (those not used for the semi-automatic functioning) to blow backwards to try to propel the gun forward. A similar idea is used on barrels which direct the gasses upward in order to stabilize your aim. Hot gasses in your face may not be the most comfortable though.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Yeah, I'll make an AK47 that has no recoil today. All I have to do is remove the firing pin.

Edit: correction, you can't make a traditional rifle that has no recoil.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
does a regular .22 have recoil? been a long time since i've shot anything. if not, just add detachable magazine, folding stock, and pistol grip

OH NOES TEH SCARAY!

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: ElFenix
does a regular .22 have recoil? been a long time since i've shot anything. if not, just add detachable magazine, folding stock, and pistol grip

OH NOES TEH SCARAY!

Every gun has recoil, but the smaller/slower the bullet, the smaller the recoil. You can do gas stabilized designs to cut down on kick and the like, or spread the recoil over time, etc, but there must be some. Basic Newtonian physics.

S

SlitheryDee

Couldn't there be a rifle that fires 2 rounds in opposite directions, one real and one blank, to cancel the recoil out?

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: SlitheryDee
Couldn't there be a rifle that fires 2 rounds in opposite directions, one real and one blank, to cancel the recoil out?

In theory, yes, that's essentially what a "recoilless" gun does.

Unheard

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2003

Blanks are deadly at close ranges. It would have to direct the "round" away from the shooter and those nearby.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001

Why not make a special SHTF rifle that shoots two regular bullets. Useful when surrounded by zombies.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Unheard

Blanks are deadly at close ranges. It would have to direct the "round" away from the shooter and those nearby.

The goggles do nothing!

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Assault rifles don't have much recoil...certainly nowhere near as much as large caliber big game hunting rifles.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

OH NOES TEH SCARAY!

I would put the butt of a Ruger 10/22 up to my crotch and pull the trigger repeatedly...in fact, I have done this. It has no recoil.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
Railgun ?

Railguns would definitely have recoil, as would a laser pistol that had as much power as a .308 in a single shot.

zacam87

Jun 24, 2009
Your having an explosion going off... of course there will always be recoil. Grow some balls and adjust body position to cope with it

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
Originally posted by: zacam87
Your having an explosion going off... of course there will always be recoil. Grow some balls and adjust body position to cope with it

WWYBYWB

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

OH NOES TEH SCARAY!

I would put the butt of a Ruger 10/22 up to my crotch and pull the trigger repeatedly...in fact, I have done this. It has no recoil.

Yes it does. Not much, but it does. Unless you're not shooting anything, anyway. :p