Is it possible to install Win7 on Intel based Win8 Laptop without any driver support?

bgc99

Aug 13, 2004
Is it possible to install Win7 on an Intel based laptop, that comes with Win8, when the manufacturer doesn't offer any Win7 drivers? I've seen a few I might be interested in but I have no desire to use Win8. What problems would I likely run into attempting this?

Thanks,
BGC

Zodiark1593

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2012
From past experience, the generic drivers provide a majority of common functions for laptops (meaning things like OEM specific features, function buttons and the like may not work). The generic drivers should also work well for most wifi cards. In addition, you should find reference drivers for most any igp, and a majority of dGPUs, though some switchable dGPUs may be locked out of reference drivers entirely (as has been my unfortunate experience).

It's a bit of hit-and-miss, but for all intents and purposes, you shouldn't have issues getting your laptop to function well with Win 7.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Also most likely you can get the windows 8 driver and they would work
worst case you can download most of the drivers direct from the manufacture of the part (ie video, sound)

The only thing you may miss is as Zodiark1593 mentioned is some specific function key ablility (ie on hp laptops there is a button for open default web for example)