Is it possible to get wifi on...

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
I wouldn't mind seeing wifi on Amtrak trains. Might make the $80something worth it.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
The ICE 3 trains in Germany have them I think. Some airlines are starting to implement it. Haven't heard of it on cruise ships.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
JetBlue is working on providing free highspeed internet access on their planes within the next few years. Don't know if it'll be wireless or not, though.

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
The ICE 3 trains in Germany have them I think. Some airlines are starting to implement it. Haven't heard of it on cruise ships.

Cruise ships have 'em. I went on a Carnival Cruise to Bermuda in augest and they had it everywhere except on the top desk.... I brought my laptop with me but only paid for an hour as its seriously overpriced.

orakle

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2002
The cruise ship I went on last year (Norweigian Dawn) was friggin nice. The whole ship was covered by wireless access points presumably for getting online with. Another cool thing was they had these cisco wireless phones in the more expensive staterooms that basically extended the range of your room phone to anywhere on the vessel. The staff also used these heavily. They had an internet cafe that i checked out, but it was ridiculously expensive to get online, so i abstained. I did get off the ship at one of the US virgin islands and found an AT&T store-front-type of thing that had a few computers on Win95 with 28.8 modems and they let me use the net for about half an hour. Only cost me like $3us. Bottom line is stay away from internet access on cruise ships because you'll pay through nose. by the way, Norweigian Cruise Lines (NCL), though I've only been on this one cruise really impressed me. the food was fantastic, service was great, etc. Only problem was the nickel-and-diming for the stuff not included, like alcoholic drinks. $6us, give me a break.

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
Between Philly and Baltimore I hit about 40 unprotected networks with Network Stumbler. I didn't actually connect to any, I just let my laptop sit on the seat while I read a book.

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Originally posted by: amdfanboy
Planes will have it and it will cost ~$25.

Until either the WiFi interferes with the "aircraft's communication systems" or all the added wires and power-support systems cause an airplane to crash.

If you can't turn on a cellphone while in flight, what makes you think WiFi will have no affect?

AFB

Lifer
Jan 10, 2004
Originally posted by: GTaudiophile
Originally posted by: amdfanboy
Planes will have it and it will cost ~$25.

Until either the WiFi interferes with the "aircraft's communication systems" or all the added wires and power-support systems cause an airplane to crash.

If you can't turn on a cellphone while in flight, what makes you think WiFi will have no affect?

Search for it, Boing is doing it. Also, pick up a copy of Wired, it had a good read on the subject.