Is it possible to get the Planet Earth HDDVD from netflix?

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
I've been trying to get the Planet Earth HDDVD from netflix first to see what the hubbub is about before I buy it, but I can only seem to add the dvd version to my queue and no option to select hddvd or bluray.

Am I missing something here? Or do they don't have it in hidef on netflix?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
"Available Formats: DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray"

Have you updated your Netflix profile to tell them you have a HD-DVD player? They're in my queue right now, but the blu-ray version.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
"Available Formats: DVD, HD DVD and Blu-ray"

Have you updated your Netflix profile to tell them you have a HD-DVD player?

This is key. They won't show you HD-DVD or Blu-Ray options until you enable them in your profile.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
update profile, but also be aware that they don't carry some titles in HD. they don't yet seem to have Harry Potter in BD or HD DVD.

as for Planet Earth. it's quite good. I have it on BD, and I also have Galapagos on HD DVD. I think Galapagos is much better--the doc and the PQ.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Your Account > Account Preferences > Format Preferences and then enable HD DVD.

You can also set it to favor HD DVDs over DVDs. Mine is set HD DVD > Blu-ray > DVD. So I will only get it on DVD if it's not available on either high def format.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
I've had my account set for HD DVD for a while now... I've gotten several hddvds from netflix so far.

This is the only "movie" available in hddvd that doesn't allow me to pick which format I want (DVD or HDDVD) in queue.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
<FUD> maybe Netflix has stopped buying new HD-DVDs and is starting to retire their existing stock? </FUD>

I didn't get around to buying a HD-DVD player before WB went blu, so I can't try switching the blu-ray version in my queue to HD-DVD.