is it possible to die with honor in this day and age?

Fullmetal Chocobo

Moderator<br>Distributed Computing
May 13, 2003
Watching 'The Last Sumurai' on TV and I wonder what people think about this.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
who cares what others think, you'll be dead and it won't matter.

Fullmetal Chocobo

May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: KK
who cares what others think, you'll be dead and it won't matter.

I'm killing my thread by replying to my own, but do you really think that honor is a matter of what others thing?

bwnv

Feb 3, 2004
It is always possible to die with honor. It is up to the individual to actually do it.

se7en

Platinum Member
Oct 23, 2002
Not really much to die for these days as there was when ideals were so different in that era. I mean if your a suicide bomber I guess so but they kill themselves so they can get the virgins not really all that honorable.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Absolutely.

Selflessly sacrificing oneself to save someone from [insert whatever], etc.

BrokenVisage

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
I always thought it was "..in this day and age" but to answer your question, it's possible however people are too cowardly and selfish these days for it to happen often.

Fullmetal Chocobo

May 13, 2003
Originally posted by: BrokenVisage
I always thought it was "..in this day and age" but to answer your question, it's possible however people are too cowardly and selfish these days for it to happen often.

edited for appropriate usage.

Coquito

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo
Originally posted by: SKORPI0
Sepuku. ;)

No hara kiri. Honerable death, not honorable suicide.

Suicide is the easy way out, whatever those silly samurai said.

Give me a few extra quarters to play with & I might just make something of myself.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
That has a lot of different meaning depending on what culture and era you are talking about, much of which I wouldn't classify as honorable under my definition.

I don't consider any form of death to be the romantic endeavor some imagine it can be. That said, there would be principals, ideas, and people I would be willing to risk my life to preserve and protect. Actions that will have no real effect besides concluding your life are meaningless, honorable though they may seem.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Even if you die with honor there is a good chance (certainly in Western countries) that your corpse will be defiled in death.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
ABSOLUTELY!!!!

My lvl 42 human rogue saw two lvl 60 horde shamans beating up a lvl 39 paladin just as he was about to finish a quest he needed to level so he could get his mount. I threw my rogue inbetween the paladin and shamans, sapped one, and stunned the other so the paladin could get away. I then fought bravely and gave my life.

...and rezed 2 minutes later.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Fritzo
ABSOLUTELY!!!!

My lvl 42 human rogue saw two lvl 60 horde shamans beating up a lvl 39 paladin just as he was about to finish a quest he needed to level so he could get his mount. I threw my rogue inbetween the paladin and shamans, sapped one, and stunned the other so the paladin could get away. I then fought bravely and gave my life.

Would you have done the same if WoW had permadeath? Or if the situation was real?

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Yes, without a doubt. No, it essentially doesn't matter, but then again nothing does.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Originally posted by: Fritzo
ABSOLUTELY!!!!

Would have done the same if WoW had permadeath? Or if the situation was real?

:confused: Sure! As long as the paladin came back and cast a resurect spell on me. They're nice like that.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
Virginia Tech teacher that held the dor so his class could get out the window before the shooter came in and killed him.

Nuff said.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
For real?

Ever hear of 9/11 and the vast amounts of service folks who sacrificed themselves to save as many people as they could?

There's lots of less-popular but still honorable events every day, read the news perhaps.

:roll:

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
Yes - don't have to do anything to save someone's life either, just have a good heart, be a good friend, and don't be selfish.

alrocky

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Fullmetal Chocobo
Watching 'The Last Sumurai' on TV and I wonder what people think about this.
Yes, one can die with honor, although I wouldn't consider a suicide charge as shown as honorable.

jmmtn4aj

Aug 13, 2006
Well it's not as if the old sword-in-the-stomach routine uninvented itself with time..

Oct 4, 2004
What about that soldier (really young kid) in Iraq who threw himself upon a grenade to save his comrades (I think it was a sniper's nest)? Firefighters that go up a raging inferno to save others? That teacher at VA Tech who barricaded the door? Police officers that die in the line of duty? I bet those qualify for an honorable death.

Self-sacrifice for the benefit of others is one heck of a way to go. We may not realize it but every day, some guy we will never hear of - in a country we have never heard of - will put the lives of others above his own. And that is a beautiful thing, if there ever was one.