Is it possible to delete a file off of a CD-R?

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
I know that with a CD-R, I can't delete a file and get the space back. But can I delete a file and just have that space lost, so the total capacity of the disc is lower, and have the deleted file completely unrecoverable? Like if I wanted to replace a file on the disc with a newer version and discard the old one.

When I try to delete a file on a CD-R it says "you can still copy new files to this writable CD, which will replace files already on the disc." How exactly does that work?

Last edited:

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If the CD-R hasn't been "closed" yet, you can still add to it and the tables will be updated to reflect that the more files have been placed on the disk, overwritten or removed. Once you close (finalize) the disk, generally no changes can be made. Also, it's typical that you cannot read your CD-R on any other CD ROM/CD-WRITER until you close (finalize) the disk on the original burner.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
I doubt the any "normal" CDRW file burning will physically delete or overwrite an existing file on a CDRW. At best, writing a new version of the file with will create new catalog entries and write the new file on an untouched part of the disk. I'd expect the original version to remain untouched and likely accessible with software designed for reading such files.

I expect there's software that CAN overburn an old file. But it's probably easier to put the CD into a shredder and burn a new disk.

Of course, if it's a re-writeable disk, you can reformat the disk. That seems to take forever, so I suspect it zeroes out the entire disk.

Last edited:

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I expect there's software that CAN overburn an old file. But it's probably easier to put the CD into a shredder and burn a new disk.

It requires packet writing features and they have to be supported by the drive itself. Some drives don't have the feature anymore because of RW media. It was big though back when CD-r was the only option.

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
You used to be able to write new files to CDR's and if files had the same names, they would just replace the old files. I used to do this all the time when CDRs were expensive 10 years ago, and before USB drives existed. I was doing software development creating 10 MB installs, and I would keep writing the same file to the CDR to transfer files to other computers. I would throw the CDR away when full. The only preoprty I had to set in teh old Adaptec software was to not close the disk when writing.

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
You used to be able to write new files to CDR's and if files had the same names, they would just replace the old files. I used to do this all the time when CDRs were expensive 10 years ago, and before USB drives existed. I was doing software development creating 10 MB installs, and I would keep writing the same file to the CDR to transfer files to other computers. I would throw the CDR away when full. The only preoprty I had to set in teh old Adaptec software was to not close the disk when writing.

interesting. can this be done using windows explorer in xp or do i need a burning software?