is it possible to connect large speakers to a portable player? AV HELP!

broshiggie

May 21, 2003
Hey all... i have access to a speaker system and i was wondering if i could use my portable mp3 player as a source. The speaker system uses 2 1/4" plugs, however on ebay i found converters that will split my 1/8" female jack on the portable player into two 1/4" jacks.

I am not TOO concerned about sound quality... but i am wondering if this is bad for my portable player. It has a line-out setting, but i dunno how i would be able to control the volume using the setting. Do the larger speaker systems require a stronger signal (and hence draw more power), or will the built in amplifiers take care of it? I am assuming the speakers do not draw power from the source unit... am i wrong to make this assumption? The speakers are pretty large (i dont know much about speaker systems, but they look like 2 big guitar amps, and the amps my bro uses do not draw power from the guitar).

CLIFFS:

- want to connect portable mp3 player to large speaker system
- speakers use 1/4" jacks
- using 1/8" -> 2 1/4" converter
- wondering if this will create problems with my portable (power requirements)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
if you have to plug them into the wall they are powered.

broshiggie

May 21, 2003
ok, just to clarify.

The speakers are usually sent a signal via a rackmounted deck. It is basically in an Aerobics Room at my gym. I do not have access to the rack, but i have been given permission to bring my own music any way i deem fit.

My experience in audio has been limited to strictly car (installed a few subwoofer/amp systems, nothing fancy), and a very little bit regarding guitar amplifiers. I should note that the speakers in the aerobics room look like they are guitar amplifer type speakers (which--in my limited experience--plug into its own power source, not draw power from the signal).

Originally posted by: ThisIsMatt
You're going to need an amplifier.

I am not sure if i made it clear, but they LOOK like guitar type amplifiers. Is it fair to assume that this means the speakers have built in amplifiers, and just require a signal from the source (no power)? Can i assume that if these have a built in amplifier (i will try to look up the model specifications tomorrow), that it would also be safe to use my portable player as a signal source?

Can anybody with experience in audio electronics let me know if its a bad idea? I dont want the speakers to draw too much power from my source (the portable player) and fry it, so i figure i would ask the experts b4 trying.