Is it possible to bring down the Great Firewall of China?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
China is a very oppressive state when it comes to free speech and being able to see information that the rest of the world can see. They have a national firewall that blocks everything from competing foreign websites to news organizations to blogs to basically anything that allows free speech or portrays the government in even a slightly negative way. Even places like Change.org are blocked because the government doesn't want people to get together and petition for change.

I have many friends there and they all wish for the most basic freedom, that of speech and that of being able to voice their opinions and learn knowledge without censorship.

I know that places like Anonymous have launched impressive campaigns against organizations, but could something be done to force down the Great Firewall and bring freedom to the people?

0800peter

Jan 31, 2013
and let us know if Ur friends suceed

see also http://www.i2p2.de/

"..
I2P is an anonymizing network, offering a simple layer that identity-sensitive applications can use to securely communicate. All data is wrapped with several layers of encryption, and the network is both distributed and dynamic, with no trusted parties.
Many applications are available that interface with I2P, including mail, peer-peer, IRC chat, and others.
The I2P project was formed in 2003 to support the efforts of those trying to build a more free society by offering them an uncensorable, anonymous, and secure communication system. I2P is a development effort producing a low latency, fully distributed, autonomous, scalable, anonymous, resilient, and secure network. The goal is to operate successfully in hostile environments - even when an organization with substantial financial or political resources attacks it. All aspects of the network are open source and available without cost, as this should both assure the people using it that the software does what it claims, as well as enable others to contribute and improve upon it to defeat aggressive attempts to stifle free speech.
.. "

and if this does not do it
give

http://vsl.sourceforge.net/

a chance and comunicate with fuzzy pics

even more advanced
http://www.hacker10.com/computer-security/steganogaphy-and-hidden-watermarks-with-openpuff/
".. OpenPuff is a portable steganography tool supporting images, audio, video and Flash Adobe animation carrier files, it can conceal up to 256MB of data splitting files in between multiple carriers..."

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'm sure anyone who tries would simply be killed.

This is also coming to America sooner or later. (SOPA, CISPA, PIPA, CRAPA... whatever they decide to end up calling it) I can see most countries eventually following suit. Governments want total control of their people.

irishScott

Lifer
Oct 10, 2006
Given that the Great Firewall is implemented via government-owned ISPs, I don't see how any online attack could do anything. Even if such an attack could succeed (and it would have to re-define "massive" to do so), all it would do is shut down the Chinese internet. Kinda defeats the purpose. China would just frame it as a foreign act of war.

Thankfully, via tor and I2P, there are ways around it if one has the know-how.

Status
Not open for further replies.