Question Is it possible to apply efficiency gains and performance gains to separate parts of an SoC ?

FlameTail

Golden Member
Dec 15, 2021
Let's say I make a hypothetical smartphone SoC called 'Flame 1' on the 7nm Node.

Then I introduce the 'Flame 2' SoC which is identical to the Flame1 in every way (same cpu, same gpu, same npu), except that it is built on the newer 7nm+ node.

Now let's say the 7nm+ Node give x% more performance OR y% more efficiency than 7nm.

So can I apply the performance improvement of the new Node to part of the SoC ( eg : CPU ) and apply the efficiency improvement to another component ( eg: GPU ) of the same SoC ? Is this possible ?

turtile

Aug 19, 2014
Let's say I make a hypothetical smartphone SoC called 'Flame 1' on the 7nm Node.

Then I introduce the 'Flame 2' SoC which is identical to the Flame1 in every way (same cpu, same gpu, same npu), except that it is built on the newer 7nm+ node.

Now let's say the 7nm+ Node give x% more performance OR y% more efficiency than 7nm.

So can I apply the performance improvement of the new Node to part of the SoC ( eg : CPU ) and apply the efficiency improvement to another component ( eg: GPU ) of the same SoC ? Is this possible ?

I have no idea about different design rules on one chip but this can easily be done with chiplets.

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014

You control whether you want better performance or power via voltage and clock. So assuming you have different voltage and clock domains in your SoC - you can decide per domain.

Last edited:

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016

In that case you'd clock the CPU part higher (get more performance at same power) and keep the GPU part as is (same performance, lower power).