Is it possible to adjust the color of individual areas of a screen?

Alpha0mega

Aug 26, 2010
This is something I have been wondering about for sometime. In my quest to find a monitor with perfect screen uniformity, every monitor I have come across has some level of tint change (changes in color hue or brightness) at some part of the screen. There have been some monitors that have come close, monitors whose defects are only visible upon close scrutiny, and direct comparison between different areas of the screen, under certain color shades. But the defect is there.

I know that these changes aren't visible to all, whether due to physiological limitations (I have had friends who just can't see it, even when the issue is pointed out), or disinterest in "minor" flaws.

So this got me wondering if there was a way to sidestep problems that appear inherent to the hardware, and solve this through software. The more I thought about it, the more it seemed that there should be no technical reason stopping a software from being able to adjust individual screen areas if needed. Software (drivers/OS display API) already controls what's displayed on the screen, what color, gamma, contrast is shown per pixel. In drivers you can adjust individual color channels and more, but only for the entire screen. Color profiles set in the OS can change the same things, but, again, only for the entire screen.

Given that every monitor has some such imperfection, albeit minor, shouldn't such a software be of great interest to professionals and enthusiasts? I would have thought that this would have been implemented by NVidia/AMD drivers.

I have tried searching for something like this, but have not found it. If something like this exists, could someone please point me towards it. Or even if it doesn't, I would be grateful if someone knows a knowledge base that could get me started towards writing the software that could do this.

P.S. I know there are certain professional monitors that allow this through their OSD, but since this feature is unfortunately very rare, it's not useful to those who don't own that particular model.