Is It Possible To 3D Print A 3D Printer That's Bigger Than The Original?

Gizmo j

Nov 9, 2013
I've seen someone 3D print a 3D printer on YouTube but it was small.

I was thinking that you could make "Parts" and attach them together to make a bigger one, is this possible?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I've seen someone 3D print a 3D printer on YouTube but it was small.

I was thinking that you could make "Parts" and attach them together to make a bigger one, is this possible?

Yes and no. 2 issues:

1. You need stability (typically in the form of metal), especially as the size of the machine increases

2. Larger printers means more room for failures during the print, vs. using one smaller printer (or multiple smaller printers) to print multiple parts to assemble together

3D printers are notoriously finicky, which is why I tell people they need to bring a tinkerer's mindset to the table when owning one, because they can be pretty fussy, especially during the learning process as they learn how to dial in the machines. So while it's possible to build a large machine, there's also the risk of screw-ups like spaghetti, which is incredibly frustrating on large, long print jobs. This guy did a really good job printing multiple smaller parts to build an Ironman cosplay suit:

Stuff like the 80/20 T-slot aluminum framing system is better suited for making 3D-printed enclosures, because then you get the stability you need for accuracy:

Or just buy a jumbo kit off Aliexpress haha:

1656659056359.png

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You need to 3D print nanobots and then you can have them assemble into anything you want. Print enough and bingo, bigger 3D printer than you started with.