Is it okay to eat moldy cake?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Pepsei, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. Pepsei

    Pepsei Lifer

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2001
    Messages:
    12,896
    Likes Received:
    1
    But, I just got this delicious coconut green cake with whipped cream icing the other day. And there are only 1 or 2 tiny spot that might be mold.

    I ate it before the mold gets worse.

    Is it bad to eat moldy cake? Isn't that like eating Amoxicillin?
     
  2. andrewjm

    andrewjm Senior member

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2002
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    0
    you're gonna die
     
  3. RagingBITCH

    RagingBITCH Lifer

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2003
    Messages:
    17,619
    Likes Received:
    2
    You'll know in a few hours if it was okay to eat it :p
     
  4. Pepsei

    Pepsei Lifer

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2001
    Messages:
    12,896
    Likes Received:
    1
    I was just wondering if you guys did it before. If the cake is so delicious and you pay good money for it, why let it go to waste? It's only a few speckled molds.
     
  5. Tremulant

    Tremulant Diamond Member

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2004
    Messages:
    4,890
    Likes Received:
    0
    I usually just pick off the moldy parts.. unless there's a ton of it. In that case, I toss it. But if there's just a few spots of it, then I'll pick it off (along with a chunk of cake, just to make sure) and eat whatever isn't contaminated.

    edit: forgot a few words..
     
  6. Ikonomi

    Ikonomi Diamond Member

    Joined:
    Dec 19, 2003
    Messages:
    6,056
    Likes Received:
    0
    It's fine if you don't eat the mold. I don't think it's that harmful to eat the mold itself, either, but why would you want to? Mold tastes very acrid.

    At least, the stuff I tasted did. :p
     
  7. LeadMagnet

    LeadMagnet Platinum Member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2003
    Messages:
    2,348
    Likes Received:
    0
    penicillin comes from bread mold - so cake mold must be even better for you!
     
  8. Atomicus

    Atomicus Banned

    Joined:
    May 20, 2004
    Messages:
    5,192
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ew? :roll:
     
  9. Pepsei

    Pepsei Lifer

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2001
    Messages:
    12,896
    Likes Received:
    1
    I was too lazy to pick out the molds, I was hungry and I'm still in bed, I didn't want to get crumbs all over, my wife will kill me if she finds out.

    I'll let you guys know if I get sick. I couldn't taste the mold, the sweet cream overpowered it.
     
  10. biostud

    biostud Lifer

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2003
    Messages:
    14,963
    Likes Received:
    156
    Mold can have some toxins that will make your stomach hurt and make you vomit.
     
  11. Azraele

    Azraele Elite Member

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2000
    Messages:
    16,443
    Likes Received:
    1
    You should be fine.
     
  12. MikePanic

    MikePanic Senior member

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2004
    Messages:
    913
    Likes Received:
    0
    if you have to ask....
     
  13. Nikamichi

    Nikamichi Diamond Member

    Joined:
    Nov 21, 2003
    Messages:
    7,760
    Likes Received:
    0
    That's certainly not life-threating, I say go for it.
     
  14. LeadMagnet

    LeadMagnet Platinum Member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2003
    Messages:
    2,348
    Likes Received:
    0

    Do you have a computer in the bathroom?
     
  15. StageLeft

    StageLeft No Lifer

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2000
    Messages:
    70,215
    Likes Received:
    0
    i probably would!
     
  16. Juno

    Juno Lifer

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2004
    Messages:
    12,576
    Likes Received:
    0
    Would you eat that kind of moldy cake if you are auctioning for Fear Factor? :p
     
  17. DurocShark

    DurocShark Lifer

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2001
    Messages:
    15,710
    Likes Received:
    4
    I can't even stand day old bread let alone actually moldy stuff.

    I remember from Jr High Science that even if you pick off the mold, it sends "roots" through the bread. So picking it off does nothing except make you think it's safe now.
     
  18. sniperruff

    sniperruff Lifer

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2002
    Messages:
    11,645
    Likes Received:
    0
    if it tastes different then you'd have to junk it.

    i guess nothing real dangerous. you might risk some long potty breaks
     
  19. Bumrush99

    Bumrush99 Diamond Member

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2004
    Messages:
    3,170
    Likes Received:
    3
    Ever eat some good Roquefort cheese? Now thats some good mold:) However, I could not fathom eating cake with green mold on it!! How could you be too lazy to grab a spoon and scoop out the nasty mold??
     
  20. biostud

    biostud Lifer

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2003
    Messages:
    14,963
    Likes Received:
    156
    The most cancerous toxin known (aflatoxin B) is made by mold living on grain, so some mold is pretty nasty.
     
  21. 911paramedic

    911paramedic Diamond Member

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2002
    Messages:
    9,451
    Likes Received:
    0
    Mmmm, bleu cheese cake!
     
  22. Eli

    Eli Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 1999
    Messages:
    50,432
    Likes Received:
    3
    Well, technically, you don't know what kind of mold it is, and.. there are a lot, some of them aren't so nice.

    Most likely, it was harmless.

    If you scrapped it off, or cut out the moldy portion, chances are you didn't even eat any.

    If it was like fuzzy green all over.. well, you probably won't die.
    You ate the mold on purpose... because you didn't want to scrape it off? Dude.. that's like the ultimate in lazyness... lol

    I seriously doubt it will hurt you, but I dunno... knowing there was a splotch of mold on the bite I just ate would probably kinda ruin the whole cake experience for me...
     
  23. shabby

    shabby Diamond Member

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 1999
    Messages:
    5,725
    Likes Received:
    11
    Moldy, old? Im gonna get something to eat!
     
  24. Actaeon

    Actaeon Diamond Member

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2000
    Messages:
    8,647
    Likes Received:
    5
    Disgusting.
     
  25. Don Vito Corleone

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2000
    Messages:
    30,007
    Likes Received:
    46
    Some kinds of mold are quite toxic, and IIRC some of them are invisible (or at least hard to see). I don't eat moldy bread/cake, partly because of this and partly because it's usually stale by the time it molds.

    You are one lazy SOB for not picking the mold off before eating the cake!