Is it OK to reuse factory thermal paste on Athlon XP cpu?

mvladi

Mar 2, 2003
I did search but couldnt find anything specific, so any help would be appreciated.

I just got a refurbished XP 2400+ from Newegg. The heatsink already has some thermal paste on it that has been used and so does the CPU. Since the warranty on used chips is only 7 days, i need to test it right away to see if it's functional and i don't have any new paste at the moment. It is alright to reuse the paste or do I risk burning the CPU?

Also, could someone explain or link the info on how to remove old paste from heatsink and cpu, and apply the new one? Do I just take the knife and scrape it off? How much of new paste do i need to apply?

Are there any specific heatsinks and paste that I should look for to improve the chip's performance or is stock combo OK?
btw, the board that i'm using is Asus a7v8x

thanks

boggsie

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2000
It may be worth considering an update to your thread title. You reference "GLUE" when it appears that you are actually talking about paste.

I wouldn't hesitate to reuse it, if you can confirm that it is the real AMD stuff. Who knows what some joker may have put on the cpu, before returning it to the retailer.

I have no idea what is considered safe for taking the stuff off. I usually use non-CFC brake parts cleaner on a napkin or paper towell.

LastRide

Jul 13, 2002
To remove paste or the thermal pad I use Q tips and rubbing alcohol.Just make sure you don't go beyond the core and get paste on the resistors.If you do just use alcohol to clean it up good.Buy Arctic Silver 3 paste its the best stuff you can get.It is conductive so make sure you don't get it on any where else other than the core and spread it thin like paint,not thick.I use a desposal razor blade.Not the sharp ends,but the outside edge.Some people use something like a credit card to spread it.If you have paste on your heatsink enough to cover most of the core it would be fine aslong as the heatsink and fan are attached.Just get some paste as soon as possible and check your temperature in the bios that your CPU isn't running super hot.

LastRide

Jul 13, 2002
If you can scrape the paste off the heatsink (not scratch it) and spread it on the core it would be better.Rub the remaining paste into the heatsink with a klenex until its gone.Thats the way arctic silver 3 is applied on the heatsink.You use a plastic sandwhich baggy with your finger in the bag and rub it around in the area where the core makes contact with the heatsink.Let it dry for 10 minutes and rub it all off.It goes into the pores on the heatsink.For the core you want to put a thin layer on.If you go to arctic silvers website they explain how to do it.

LastRide

Jul 13, 2002
As for a heatsink the SLK-800 or SLK-900 (can be used on P4 and AMD CPU's) are good heatsinks.The ALpha Pal 8045 for AMD is good too.There are a few good heatsinks out there.

petrek

Apr 11, 2001
Since you just want to test it to see if it works, I would scrape off the paste (assuming that's what it is) from the heatsink using a credit card, and then apply it to the cpu core as LastRide suggested. I've done it before without any problems.

Dave

ScrewFace

Banned
Sep 21, 2002
I'd recommend Arctic Silver III compounds if you're into overclocking. If not, it doesn't matter one way or the other.:)