Is it ok to drink a beer while on a lunch break?

Brian23

Banned
Dec 28, 1999
So you go out to lunch from the office. Is it ok to have a beer with your lunch?

jds2006

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2005
What if you drive while you're intoxicated and then get in an accident and then won't be able to go to work?? Oh noes.

Colt45

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
I see no problem with it, but employers in north america are fvcked when it comes to that sort of thing

Brian23

Banned
Dec 28, 1999
I've noticed that all my coworkers never drink during lunch. We drink after work often though. I've never ordered one at lunch just because no-one else did.

Brian23

Banned
Dec 28, 1999
Originally posted by: DainBramaged
And if you are Sonz70...I would highly recommended it.

I have nothing to do with him, and I feel sorry for anyone who does. (Qosis)

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
"Okay" and "should I" are two different things; you can drink if you'd like and your employer could do little to stop/punish you, but I'd consider it highly unprofessional to do so, which could have repercussions down the line.

AntisociaL

Golden Member
Dec 29, 2001
If its just a single beer to wash down the meal than sure but more than that even if you have a tolerence is not a good idea.
When I was 18 I had a job detailing cars at a dealership and our boss would take us to a pizza place next door for lunch once a week and we would have a few,the waitress didn't even card us because he tipped so well :)

masterxfob

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
if you're not a complete pansy, one beer for an hour lunch isn't going to have a huge effect. it'll probably wear off before you resume work. then again, maybe it's just who you work for. i used to have a beer at lunch with my former boss all the time, it made lunch a little more chill, and the effect was gone by the time we got back to work.

AmericasTeam

Golden Member
Feb 4, 2003
I've had as much as 2 at lunch. I usually have one when eating mexican food (its a rule). My friend only lives 1 block from work so no worries about getting in an accident or a dui. Never would I order one at lunch with the boss.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
No, it's not. On the job and drinking is a very bad idea. Never would I even consider ordering a beer out to lunch with other employees, even if others ordered something alcoholic.

Oh, and if you go out to lunch with the boss, they are entitled to order alcohol. It is a setup. Never order something alcoholic when out with the boss. Iced tea works wonders. :) Yeah I know, I've wanted to make it a "Long Island" or "Tokyo" at times, but it's not worth it.

DVad3r

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2005
Of course it is. Beer during lunch is taboo here in NA, in Europe beer is like mineral water. I was soo shocked at the fact that they would not serve me and my friends a pitcher of beer at lunchtime...single bottles only, pitchers only after 3...wtf. Just make sure it does not cause any problems at your work etc...tons of retards and rats might be just waiting to gossip about how you "drink" at lunchtime...

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
At a job i had it stated in the personel manual that you could have up to two alcoholic beverages at a lunch, if it was business related.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Depends on the lunch. I've had one thus far in my work experience and I nursed it for an hour or so. I realize, though, that one beer can get me pretty buzzed even though I'm a big guy, so I'd rather nurse it and not finish the whole thing than finish it and act buzzed once I got back.

As a general rule I would not unless it was a long lunch and a client ordered first.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: DainBramaged
I used to. But not any more in case my boss smelled anything...hoppy.

You and you boss reaching that stage in your relationship?

Seriously though, most employers would be more accepting of you doing another employee's wife/husband at lunch then having a drink.

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I vote no, especially if you work in an office or retail. Just the risk of someone smelling it when you return could trigger some bad things (even if you are not drunk).

NoToRiOuS1

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2004
what kind of a question is that....of course its ok to drink a cold one on your lunch break. thats your time...you're not on the commpany's payroll for that 30-45 min...do whatever the hell you want.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: thegimp03
No, it's not. On the job and drinking is a very bad idea. Never would I even consider ordering a beer out to lunch with other employees, even if others ordered something alcoholic.

Oh, and if you go out to lunch with the boss, they are entitled to order alcohol. It is a setup. Never order something alcoholic when out with the boss. Iced tea works wonders. :) Yeah I know, I've wanted to make it a "Long Island" or "Tokyo" at times, but it's not worth it.

I would agree. If it is a crappy job you don;t care about and/or have little chance to move up then ok. But if it is not, wait for later to play it safe.