Is it ok to drink a beer while on a lunch break?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Brian23, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Brian23

Brian23 Banned

So you go out to lunch from the office. Is it ok to have a beer with your lunch?

2. kindest

kindest Platinum Member

4 sure. so long as your nut a wus.

3. jds2006

jds2006 Golden Member

What if you drive while you're intoxicated and then get in an accident and then won't be able to go to work?? Oh noes.

4. Colt45

Colt45 Lifer

I see no problem with it, but employers in north america are fvcked when it comes to that sort of thing

5. aplefka

aplefka Lifer

Hellz yeah!

6. Brian23

Brian23 Banned

I've noticed that all my coworkers never drink during lunch. We drink after work often though. I've never ordered one at lunch just because no-one else did.

7. DainBramaged

DainBramaged Lifer

I used to. But not any more in case my boss smelled anything...hoppy.

8. DainBramaged

DainBramaged Lifer

And if you are Sonz70...I would highly recommended it.

9. Brian23

Brian23 Banned

I have nothing to do with him, and I feel sorry for anyone who does. (Qosis)

10. ViRGE

ViRGE Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus

"Okay" and "should I" are two different things; you can drink if you'd like and your employer could do little to stop/punish you, but I'd consider it highly unprofessional to do so, which could have repercussions down the line.

11. montanafan

montanafan Diamond Member

Really wrong, no, better not to, yes.

12. AntisociaL

AntisociaL Golden Member

If its just a single beer to wash down the meal than sure but more than that even if you have a tolerence is not a good idea.
    When I was 18 I had a job detailing cars at a dealership and our boss would take us to a pizza place next door for lunch once a week and we would have a few,the waitress didn't even card us because he tipped so well :)

13. masterxfob

masterxfob Diamond Member

if you're not a complete pansy, one beer for an hour lunch isn't going to have a huge effect. it'll probably wear off before you resume work. then again, maybe it's just who you work for. i used to have a beer at lunch with my former boss all the time, it made lunch a little more chill, and the effect was gone by the time we got back to work.

14. AmericasTeam

AmericasTeam Golden Member

I've had as much as 2 at lunch. I usually have one when eating mexican food (its a rule). My friend only lives 1 block from work so no worries about getting in an accident or a dui. Never would I order one at lunch with the boss.

15. PHiuR

PHiuR Diamond Member

its k aslong as u dont get drunk, so yes.

16. thegimp03

thegimp03 Diamond Member

No, it's not. On the job and drinking is a very bad idea. Never would I even consider ordering a beer out to lunch with other employees, even if others ordered something alcoholic.

Oh, and if you go out to lunch with the boss, they are entitled to order alcohol. It is a setup. Never order something alcoholic when out with the boss. Iced tea works wonders. :) Yeah I know, I've wanted to make it a "Long Island" or "Tokyo" at times, but it's not worth it.

17. DVad3r

DVad3r Diamond Member

Of course it is. Beer during lunch is taboo here in NA, in Europe beer is like mineral water. I was soo shocked at the fact that they would not serve me and my friends a pitcher of beer at lunchtime...single bottles only, pitchers only after 3...wtf. Just make sure it does not cause any problems at your work etc...tons of retards and rats might be just waiting to gossip about how you "drink" at lunchtime...

18. pyonir

pyonir Lifer

At a job i had it stated in the personel manual that you could have up to two alcoholic beverages at a lunch, if it was business related.

19. Orsorum

Orsorum Lifer

Depends on the lunch. I've had one thus far in my work experience and I nursed it for an hour or so. I realize, though, that one beer can get me pretty buzzed even though I'm a big guy, so I'd rather nurse it and not finish the whole thing than finish it and act buzzed once I got back.

As a general rule I would not unless it was a long lunch and a client ordered first.

20. alkemyst

alkemyst No Lifer

You and you boss reaching that stage in your relationship?

Seriously though, most employers would be more accepting of you doing another employee's wife/husband at lunch then having a drink.

21. aircooled

aircooled Lifer

I vote no, especially if you work in an office or retail. Just the risk of someone smelling it when you return could trigger some bad things (even if you are not drunk).

22. NoToRiOuS1

NoToRiOuS1 Golden Member

what kind of a question is that....of course its ok to drink a cold one on your lunch break. thats your time...you're not on the commpany's payroll for that 30-45 min...do whatever the hell you want.

23. mcvickj

mcvickj Diamond Member

No. Not if you value your job.

24. Vette73

Vette73 Lifer

I would agree. If it is a crappy job you don;t care about and/or have little chance to move up then ok. But if it is not, wait for later to play it safe.

25. NiKeFiDO

NiKeFiDO Diamond Member

usa - no
    europe - have 3