Is it normal when your mother constantly says things to put you down and make you feel worthless??

nativesunshine

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2003
I don't know what i've done to make her treat me this way. Sure I've made mistakes..but what child hasn't?

I really don't think I can take it anymore.... :(

caitlion

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2003
what kinds of things does she say?

its not normal to me..my parents are nothing like that. but im sure its not unusual :-/ :(

Jan 18, 2001
just tell her that all your mistakes are a reflection of either her genes or inadequate parenting skills. ;)

geckojohn

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2000
That sucks... no, it's not normal, but i've heard of some mothers doing that to their children.

Maybe your mom is going through some difficulties right now.... i don't know but maybe you should sit down and tell her how much it hurts you.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: nativesunshine
I don't know what i've done to make her treat me this way. Sure I've made mistakes..but what child hasn't?

move. best thing you can do. she wont ever change.

a buddy of mine has parents like that. they always put him down and treat him like crap. even though the guy has a great job (makes like 70k a year) and a great wife. its not good enough.

so he finally moved out of state. heck he moved across the US. since he dont get put down all the time he is in a better mood all the time.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Maybe try confronting her about it? Tell her how you feel and why, and then ask her why she does it?

iamme

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: ghostman
You're asian, right?

that's what i was thinking. it's not good or healthy....but happens alot w/ asian parents.

finish school and move far away :)

Booster

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
Is it normal when your mother constantly says things to put you down and make you feel worthless??

I think it's b/c she's getting older and she doesn't like it. Kind of envy, you know.

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
No it is not normal..Plz read,"The Shame That Binds" by John Bradshaw.

Its just a book on dysfunction in the family, where it comes from and how to
distance one's self from it with love. I read it 14 or so years ago. Good info that
I really needed at that time in my life.

rickn

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
your youthfulness is a constant reminder of her fading beauty. Is your dad around? What kind of things does she say? Is it lighthearted insults, like she say something and twists your cheek, or filled with cuss words and other colorful adjectives?

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
No, it isn't normal. She is probably disappointed with herself in some aspect, and is transferring that to you. Perhaps she had certain aspirations/dreams for you that you aren't living up to. In any case, just try to ignor her the best you can, and move if you get the chance. Visit, but not for too long. Call, but not too often. She will probably be upset that you don't stay in better touch, but at least you'll be happier.

Best of luck.

R

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
No, it is not normal.
It sounds like she is bitter about something and wants to take it out on you.

Confront her about what she is doing. See if she will change.

If not, move a good distance away when you are able.
The best revenge is living well.

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
Originally posted by: nativesunshine

It is if you're Asian. :)

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Booster

I think it's b/c she's getting older and she doesn't like it. Kind of envy, you know.

How can you possibly say that without knowing any more information?

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Originally posted by: pulse8
Originally posted by: Booster

How can you possibly say that without knowing any more information?

This is pretty accurate actually. Its more like she's growing up and mom doesn't want to let go. Mom doesn't want to admit her little girl is all grown up and can make her own decisions.

CChaos

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2003
Originally posted by: Ornery
"Sure I've made mistakes.."

I'm sure we haven't heard the whole story here...

I think we've heard plenty. I hope you don't think that there's a situation that would warrant a parent undermining their child's self-worth like this. Perhaps you've missed the point of parenting entirely.