Is it normal to pee a lot from coffee?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Insane thirsty was wanting to chug a gallon of water. Then 15 mins later wanting another gallon. All I could think of was wow I must be dehydrated from all this peeing I need more water. A week or 2 leading up to that, was peeing maybe once an hour. Not real thirsty but always drinking something. Now diabetes under control might pee 3x day or so. If anyone in family has glucose meter check yourself. If over 160 or so Id say yep you have diabetes. Over 500 it will read HI on meter and means you need to get to ER now. 80-120 would be normal range

Oh, I'm not that bad. I'm thirsty, but I just drank two full glasses of gatorade and that will hold me over for at least 2 hours, but then I'll probably get really thirsty again. But this is more than normal... normally, I don't drink anything at all, really. I know, bad habit, but this is the first time in a while where I actually "crave" something to drink, but it's only once every hour or two, not every 15 minutes.

Should I just go buy a cheap tester at the CVS store and try it? I know about 3 months ago they checked my sugar at the doctor and it was 96, but this was before I had these symptoms.

dartworth

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
diaf.jpg

nocash

Sep 25, 2000
I'd defiantly keep eye on it, and get it checked. Gatorade will only make it worse if glucose is high. Lots of sugar in it. When sugar is too high for your body to handle. Your kidneys will start getting rid of it. Could be other things like infection or cold or flu. Guarantee you if you go to the doctor with excessive peeing the first thing they would check would be glucose.

PlasmaBomb

Lifer
Nov 19, 2004
So are you saying that the fact that this extreme urination only started in a week where I drank 5 large cups of coffee when, any other week, I would drink no cups of coffee, is just a coincidence?

Got the half life of caffeine wrong- wiki puts it at 4.9 hours so yes it could still effect you 12 hours later.

Hadn't got as far as the weekly update.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
I'd defiantly keep eye on it, and get it checked. Gatorade will only make it worse if glucose is high. Lots of sugar in it. When sugar is too high for your body to handle. Your kidneys will start getting rid of it. Could be other things like infection or cold or flu. Guarantee you if you go to the doctor with excessive peeing the first thing they would check would be glucose.

Should I go get a monitor and try to test it myself now and see what it is? The gatorade actually made me feel better, though it did make me pee about 15 minutes later.

69Mach1

Jun 10, 2009
Insane thirsty was wanting to chug a gallon of water. Then 15 mins later wanting another gallon. All I could think of was wow I must be dehydrated from all this peeing I need more water. A week or 2 leading up to that, was peeing maybe once an hour. Not real thirsty but always drinking something. Now diabetes under control might pee 3x day or so. If anyone in family has glucose meter check yourself. If over 160 or so Id say yep you have diabetes. Over 500 it will read HI on meter and means you need to get to ER now. 80-120 would be normal range

This is where I was at before I finally went to the hospital. My blood sugar when I checked in was 1296. Trust me when I say you don't want to do that. I've had it under control for more than 3 years now, it usually runs 95-105, and I can pretty much eat whatever I want. I exercise at least 5 times a week, at least 1/2 hour per . But if I eat something with a lot of carbs, I get very thirsty. Sometimes I will end up drinking a couple of quarts of water before it goes away. I thought it was just me being paranoid, but maybe not. Normally I drink the megamug of coffee, then go pee maybe 3x daily, but I also drink a couple of quarts of water scattered throughout the day. The water I drink after a big carb load is in addition to normal. When I'm working out I sweat a lot, so I lose a lot that way too.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
This is where I was at before I finally went to the hospital. My blood sugar when I checked in was 1296. Trust me when I say you don't want to do that. I've had it under control for more than 3 years now, it usually runs 95-105, and I can pretty much eat whatever I want. I exercise at least 5 times a week, at least 1/2 hour per . But if I eat something with a lot of carbs, I get very thirsty. Sometimes I will end up drinking a couple of quarts of water before it goes away. I thought it was just me being paranoid, but maybe not. Normally I drink the megamug of coffee, then go pee maybe 3x daily, but I also drink a couple of quarts of water scattered throughout the day. The water I drink after a big carb load is in addition to normal. When I'm working out I sweat a lot, so I lose a lot that way too.

Are you guys being SERIOUS when you say a gallon of water, or are you being sarcastic? Would you actually chug a gallon of water? I haven't even drank a gallon of liquid today.....

69Mach1: Does it sound like I'm experiencing the symptoms of high blood sugar? If so i'll go to the hospital now. If not, I'll go buy one of those checkers at CVS and check it myself. Should I go do that? If so, what if it says 150? 200? I just drank som egg nog, so that'll probably kill that part for a while...

But I'm still peeing like crazy =( Just went again. And my throat is starting to become sore.

RoloMather

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2008
Stop drinking coffee and see what happens. Kinda obvious.

Stop drinking Gatorade and drink water.

Your peeing might have something to do with your drinking 2 glasses of Gatorade.

or:

You're going to die. Make your peace with God now.

Last edited:

69Mach1

Jun 10, 2009
I'm deadly serious about the amount. NO amount of liquid was enough. But I also had the crazy weight loss going on, and I was so tired and run down it felt like I had just crawled across the Sahara on my knees. I think if you have a Doctors appointment already, I wouldn't panic unless something changes for the worse before then.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I've seen this all the time. It could be a couple of things related to but not limited to:

AIDS
allergies
Alzheimer's disease
anxiety disorders
arthritis
asthma
astigmatism
autoimmune diseases
benign prostate hyperplasia (BPH)
bipolar disorder (manic-depressive)
brain cancer
breast cancer
cancer
candidiasis
cataracts
celiac disease
cervical cancer
chicken pox
chlamydia
chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS)
chronic illness
cold sores
colon cancer
constipation
common cold
COPD
cough
Crohn's disease
cystic fibrosis
dementia
diabetes
diarrhea
depression
eczema
endometriosis
eye disorders
fibroids
fibromyalgia
flu (influenza)
food poisoning
Gallstones
genital herpes
gonorrhea
Graves' disease
Hashimoto's thyroiditis
hay fever
headache
heart disease
hemochromatosis
hepatitis
herpes
high cholesterol
HIV
Hodgkin's disease
HPV (human papilloma virus)
hypertension
impotence
insomnia
irritable bowel syndrome
jaundice
kidney disease
lactose intolerance
leukemia
liver cancer
liver disease
lung cancer
lupus
Lyme disease
lymphoma
meningitis
meningococcal disease
menopause
mental illness
myopia (short-sightedness)
migraine
multiple sclerosis
muscular dystrophy
narcolepsy
Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
obesity
osteoporosis
otitis media (middle ear infection)
ovarian cancer
overweight
pain
Parkinson's disease
pelvic inflammatory disease
pertussis
pregnancy
premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
prostate cancer
prostate disorders
Raynaud's Phenomenon
SARS
sexually transmitted diseases
sleep disorders
smoking
stroke
thrush
thyroid disorders
whooping cough

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Very funny :)

Today seems OK. I've gone twice, but it's almost 1 PM. Ate a full breakfast, ate a full lunch, not dying of thirst, but not drinking much either.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
caffeine has been studied a lot and the studies are mixed whether it is or isn't a diuretic that speeds fluid loss. I can tell you that drinking things like soda or coffee laden with caffeine do not replenish the bodies fluid levels. One of the reasons is it takes more energy to separate the water from the beverage , so much so that it uses up about 80% of the fluid you intake.

Drink water . Or my preference , something like koolaid , I like lemon lime, or mixing cherry and orange, with very little sugar added. Prefer it because I can control the sugar amount and it has very few additives.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Ugh...now i'm starting to wonder if i could have diabetes, or at least the beginning of.

I pretty much have none of the risk factors other than not eating so healthy.

But i could say i experience nearly all of the symptoms, though not in a severe way, at least i don't think so.

Symptoms:

1. Frequent urination

I piss more often than anyone i know.

2. Increased thirst

I drink more [especially water] by far, than anyone i know.

3. Unplanned weight loss

I've always been skinny...can eat anything; never had issues keeping weight down...

4. Weakness and fatigue

Not really, though it seems i need more sleep than i used to if that's possible, & if i don't get enough sleep, i feel like crap.

5. Numbness or tingling in hands, legs or feet

Actually occasionally in the hands, though i never really would say it's major (unless i've just somehow learned to ignore it).

6. Blurred vision

Nope.

7. Dry, itchy skin

Skin's been a oily + dry mess since puberty; but it's not really itchy.

8. Frequent infections

Not that i know of, though now that i think of it, my nose seems to run a lot.

9. Slow healing of cuts and bruises

Not really.

Arghh....now i'm getting paranoid.
But this stuff, i've lived with most of it forever...

So either i'm just being paranoid, or i've been living with the beginnings of it for a while.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Ugh...now i'm starting to wonder if i could have diabetes, or at least the beginning of.

I pretty much have none of the risk factors other than not eating so healthy.

So either i'm just being paranoid, or i've been living with the beginnings of it for a while.

Get tested. It isn't an expensive test and just requires some simple blood work and the fasting test where you don't eat , they check your sugar levels, then you drink some syrupy stuff and they check again to see how your body handles it.

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Go to the ER now and get this tested. I know what you're doing, you don't want to know the truth.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
You drank 2 cups of coffee, a margarita and 4 bottles of water and you're wondering why you had to pee? Mind = blown.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
ahhhhh.

this is just the type of mujasckizkakzxzz thread that I've missed, lo these many months.

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Do you suffer from anxiety Matt? It seems like that's the real problem here. I'll go 10-1 that you do not have diabetes. Look at the extremes that others are posting and how different they are from what you are experiencing...it's night and day. You do not have diabetes, but you do have a problem with anxiety or something. Just go see your Dr. and you will see that all is fine, but be sure to talk to them about what you are feeling mentally.