Is it normal for a car to just Jerk off

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hey Twista, that's a FWD Caddy, you say that the vehicle lunges upon acceleration ?

Is there a delay or immediate acceleration ?

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: Roger
Hey Twista, that's a FWD Caddy, you say that the vehicle lunges upon acceleration ?

Ya like the front of the car kindof jerks up alittle and you hear the rhurrmmm.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Twista

Ya like the front of the car kindof jerks up alittle and you hear the rhurrmmm.

The front of the car will always jerk up if it's a front engine car. Can you be a bit more specific?

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
Originally posted by: Evadman
I. DON'T. CARE.
Cadillacs are RWD and that's all there is to it. They do have some FWD models but people certainly don't equate FWD with Caddys. When people think Caddy they think "RWD, V8, boat, torque, etc.". FWD is to be found nowhere among them.

Oh Noes!!!
Oh Noes Again!!
OMG! My Life is overz!
St@b me in the face!

You seem to have overlooked the statement "They do have some FWD models but people certainly don't equat FWD with Caddys." Can we drop this, please? I never said there were no FWD Caddys so what the heck is the argument about??

When I think "Cadillac" I don't think RWD. They had a whole slew of FWD models in the 90s, as you can see. In fact, all but one car were FWD IIRC.

If there is no delay between accelerator pedal movement and vehicle acceleration, then there is nothing wrong, what you are experiancing (several people have posted this already) is torque, learn to drive with a feather foot ;)

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
If there is no delay between accelerator pedal movement and vehicle acceleration, then there is nothing wrong, what you are experiancing (several people have posted this already) is torque, learn to drive with a feather foot ;)

Well do Jaguars have Front wheel also. Im going to look up our jaguar also.

No, jags are RWD, but that is not what I am saying, it has nothing to do with what wheels are driven, it has everything to do with low R.P.M. torque.

(That's power right off idle)

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Specifications
Layout rear-wheel drive
Engine 4.0-liter dohc 32v V8
Horsepower 281 hp @ 6100 rpm
Torque 287 lb.-ft. @ 4300 rpm
EPA fuel economy, city/hwy NA/NA mpg
Additional engines 240-hp 3.0-liter dohc 24v V6
Transmission 5-speed automatic
Wheelbase 114.5 in.
Length/width/height 191.3/71.6/55.7 in.
Track, f/r 60.5/60.8 in.
Turning circle 37.7 ft.
Head/shoulder/leg room, front 38.6/56.3/43.1 in.
Head/shoulder/leg room, rear 36.4/56.7/37.7 in.
Trunk volume 13.1 cu. ft.
Suspension, f/r independent/ independent
Curb weight 3770 lbs.
Tires P225/55HR16
Brakes, front/rear disc/disc
Fuel capacity 18.4 gal.
Basic warranty 4 years/50,000 miles
Assembled in Birmingham, England

abother site so i guess this matches our car.

Destination Charge: N/A
Gas Guzzler Tax: N/A
Price as Tested (MSRP): $52,080
Layout: rear-wheel drive
Engine: 4.0-liter dohc 32v V8
Horsepower: 281 @ 6100
Torque: 287 @ 4300
Transmission: 5-speed automatic
EPA fuel economy, city/hwy: N/A
Wheelbase: 114.5
Length/Width/Height: 191.3/71.6/55.7
Track, f/r: 60.5/60.8
Turn Circle: 37.7
Seating Capacity: 5
Head/Hip/Leg room, f: 38.6/56.3/43.1
Head/Hip/Leg room, m: N/A
Head/Hip/Leg room, r: 36.4/56.7/37.7
Trunk Volume: 13.1
Payload: N/A
Towing Capacity: N/A
Suspension, f: Independent
Suspension, r: Independent
Ground Clearance: N/A
Curb Weight: 3770
Tires: P225/55HR16
Brakes, f/r: disc/disc
Fuel Capacity: 18.4
Which car is more powerful? The caddy? So the caddy has more power when it first starts

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Don't bother Zenm ;)

How ya doing buddy ?
I'm still alive. :) I seem to have angered the car gods lately, the 924S transaxle had a bearing come apart in the R&P, so I'm left driving the Mark VIII in the Winter which necessitated snow tires since the Mark just goes nuts at even the hint of snow. The Mark needs a new wiper motor too, and on top of that I can't find a Haynes manual that covers the Mark VIII, just one on the T-Bird/Cougar on which the Mark VIII was based.

ZV

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
The front of the car will always jerk up if it's a front engine car. Can you be a bit more specific?
The front end will jerk up regardless of where the engine is. That's a result of weight transfer towards the rear under acceleration.

ZV

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Viper GTS has a pretty amusing story about this.

Zenmer - if the engine is forward of the front axle, it'll jerk up less.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Howard

Yeah, but it'll still rise some at the front. And Flyermax was clearly implying that rising at the front was unique to FWD cars.

ZV

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

Yeah, but it'll still rise some at the front. And Flyermax was clearly implying that rising at the front was unique to FWD cars.

ZV

No, I did not say that only FWD cars will lift at the front end under acceleration. Stop putting words in my mouth, so to speak. And get off my jock while you're at it.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: DivideBYZero
Specifications
Layout rear-wheel drive
Engine 4.0-liter dohc 32v V8
Horsepower 281 hp @ 6100 rpm
Torque 287 lb.-ft. @ 4300 rpm
EPA fuel economy, city/hwy NA/NA mpg
Additional engines 240-hp 3.0-liter dohc 24v V6
Transmission 5-speed automatic
Wheelbase 114.5 in.
Length/width/height 191.3/71.6/55.7 in.
Track, f/r 60.5/60.8 in.
Turning circle 37.7 ft.
Head/shoulder/leg room, front 38.6/56.3/43.1 in.
Head/shoulder/leg room, rear 36.4/56.7/37.7 in.
Trunk volume 13.1 cu. ft.
Suspension, f/r independent/ independent
Curb weight 3770 lbs.
Tires P225/55HR16
Brakes, front/rear disc/disc
Fuel capacity 18.4 gal.
Basic warranty 4 years/50,000 miles
Assembled in Birmingham, England

abother site so i guess this matches our car.

Destination Charge: N/A
Gas Guzzler Tax: N/A
Price as Tested (MSRP): $52,080
Layout: rear-wheel drive
Engine: 4.0-liter dohc 32v V8
Horsepower: 281 @ 6100
Torque: 287 @ 4300
Transmission: 5-speed automatic
EPA fuel economy, city/hwy: N/A
Wheelbase: 114.5
Length/Width/Height: 191.3/71.6/55.7
Track, f/r: 60.5/60.8
Turn Circle: 37.7
Seating Capacity: 5
Head/Hip/Leg room, f: 38.6/56.3/43.1
Head/Hip/Leg room, m: N/A
Head/Hip/Leg room, r: 36.4/56.7/37.7
Trunk Volume: 13.1
Payload: N/A
Towing Capacity: N/A
Suspension, f: Independent
Suspension, r: Independent
Ground Clearance: N/A
Curb Weight: 3770
Tires: P225/55HR16
Brakes, f/r: disc/disc
Fuel Capacity: 18.4
Which car is more powerful? The caddy? So the caddy has more power when it first starts
TORQUE young Padowan. Torque.

Torque is twist, the urge you feel when you accelerate. This is EXACTLY THE SAME on both cars.
Both of those sets of specs are for the Jag, neither is for the Cadillac. Seeing as both sets of stats are for the same car, the numbers had really better be the same.

ZV

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000

ZV
No, I did not say that only FWD cars will lift at the front end under acceleration. Stop putting words in my mouth, so to speak. And get off my jock while you're at it.
So you never said, "The front of the car will always jerk up if it's a front engine car. Can you be a bit more specific?" Oh, wait you did. That clearly IMPLIES that only front engined cars have this effect. I never said you said it verbatim. I said you implied it. And a person would have to be brain-dead not to be able to see the implication.

ZV

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003

ZV
So you never said, "The front of the car will always jerk up if it's a front engine car. Can you be a bit more specific?" Oh, wait you did. That clearly IMPLIES that only front engined cars have this effect. I never said you said it verbatim. I said you implied it. And a person would have to be brain-dead not to be able to see the implication.

ZV

You just can't drop this front-drive Caddy subject can you? I'm sorry you inferred a different meaning upon my statement than what I meant, but text isn't exactly the best form of communication known to man.

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Loggerman
Practise.start and stop, theb try a few of putting your foot to the floor(boot it).
Get a feel for the diffirence.

So you mean with the car in Park just push the gas all the down than off than press it softly? I already circled a parking lot in the caddy. Last night while practicing i think i did bad but my father think i did good lol. I just dont like the caddy and the jag. is new which i think would run better for me.

But key in here buddy, it's a jag and beyond that it's newer than the caddy which is probably why he doesn't want you driving it, who cares if it would work better for you.

Aiya, I'm such a hypocrite I drive my dads 98 jaguar :p. I'm just lucky though cause our other car is being used all the time.

RbSX

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002

Well do Jaguars have Front wheel also. Im going to look up our jaguar also.

Yes jaguars are rear wheel drive cars.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: RyanSengara
Practise.start and stop, theb try a few of putting your foot to the floor(boot it).

So you mean with the car in Park just push the gas all the down than off than press it softly? I already circled a parking lot in the caddy. Last night while practicing i think i did bad but my father think i did good lol. I just dont like the caddy and the jag. is new which i think would run better for me.

But key in here buddy, it's a jag and beyond that it's newer than the caddy which is probably why he doesn't want you driving it, who cares if it would work better for you.

Aiya, I'm such a hypocrite I drive my dads 98 jaguar :p. I'm just lucky though cause our other car is being used all the time.

Yes thats true! The car is new and its a jag and that means a no no to me lol.

Twista

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2003
Originally posted by: RyanSengara

Yes thats true! The car is new and its a jag and that means a no no to me lol.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
try taking a soft toothbrush and cleaning the throttle body with it. my wife's honda had a similar problem, there was a bunch of gunk in the TB making the butterflies stick, so the first time you pushed the gas it felt like it was sticking a bit (or i guess jerking off, if you must phrase it that way). just pull the air intake hose off and put your finger around the edge (car OFF, preferably after it's had time to cool down) and see if there's any gunk built up in there, and if so clean it up a bit. you can also pay a garage or oil change place about 60 bucks to do it. you can also get some spray on stuff at advance auto or that type of place that will clean all that mess up as well.

try going to AA or pep boys or a place like that, most of the guys there are quite knowledgable and can help you answer your questions.

edit: after reading your first post again i'm not sure what you're actually saying, so maybe you should just take it to a mechanic if you think there's a problem with the car. :D

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
Great. YAEGUOFT: Yet Another Everyone Gang Up On Flyermax Thread
rolleye.gif
I'm done responding to off-topic posts in this thread. I've said my two cents. If Twista has anymore questions I'll be more than happy to help but I won't be replying to anymore of these "you're an idiot and you don't know what you're talking about BLAH BLAH BLAH DIE DIE DIE!" posts

if you stopped posting these threads would stop happening.