Is it necessary for resume paper?

Feb 19, 2001
In a world where most companies tell you to apply online, and a good chunk of resumes are submitted by email, where's the need for resume paper? Sure itsa few bucks I can drop down when I go to Staples, but is there a need? Last time I went in for an interview, everyone just got a copy of my resume through email and printed their own. I brought copies for them, but obviously there was no need because everyone who interviewed me came in with a copy already.

Moreoever, paper resumes just get thrown into the database via OCR, and your fancy resume paper goes into the recycling bin after some admin finishes scanning in your text.

I watched and helped my mom with her resume as she was switching jobs about 2 years ago, and she didn't use any resume paper...

I'm just asking because I have a friend who keeps emphasizing it when clearly so many jobs are electronically applied for...

Edit: I think that it is more important to have an aesthetically appealing resume in terms of format, layout, dividers, etc than it is for someone to use resume paper. It's kinda like web design. Layout is #1.

crypticlogin

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2001
If someone does pick up two very similiar applicants with the same experience, potential, etc. and one was on resume paper and the other on copier paper, resume guy will have the edge. It's about the whole package and showing consideration for the process and etiquette.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
24 lb white laser paper is what you should use. Anything more is a waste of money.

I've read resumes for hiring developers at this job and the previous one, and getting a resume on "different" paper did not give it any kind of advantage. In fact colored paper or borders that made it less readable were a (very minor) strike against the person for making my work a little harder.

Edit: of course my experience only applies to technical positions where we care most about your skills. There may be other fields where fancy frills on a resume do earn you bonus points.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
A good quality paper, sure, but resume specific? I wouldn't say so. Although if it was for a job I really wanted, I probably would throw in the extra few bucks.

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
24 lb white laser paper is what you should use. Anything more is a waste of money.

I've read resumes for hiring developers at this job and the previous one, and getting a resume on "different" paper did not give it any kind of advantage. In fact colored paper or borders that made it less readable were a (very minor) strike against the person for making my work a little harder.

Edit: of course my experience only applies to technical positions where we care most about your skills. There may be other fields where fancy frills on a resume do earn you bonus points.

Hmm 24 lb laser paper is what I always buy. I almost fell out of my chair laughing when my friend stole 20lb paper with 88 brightness and touted it as high quality and wanted me to feel it. I almost wnate dto whip out my 24lb 96 brightness paper from Costco to show him..

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Pretty much the only paper that runs through my laser printers is 24lb bright white paper. That is perfectly suited for a resume. Anything else is just thin cardboard.