Is it my gpu or screen

Tracymae

May 26, 2016
It's a amd radeon saphire hd 6800, my scrren goes in half and goes to the other side, with very little line flicker, it is a fairly old gpu so it would make sense , its only causing me problems when i play my new game for more than 10 minutes, use to not last week, but now it happens more frequently. It's just tree of savior so it shouldn't be to hard on the gpu the heat only gets to 60 before it starts happening. Either way maybe i should try a different screen or just do myself a favor and buy a r7 670. I'm not sure how to post a picture here. Also side note my uncle had fixed the screen before he gave it to me, but it usually just goes black if the cord is in a weird spot.

freeskier93

Apr 17, 2015
A simple way to test is to take a screenshot. If a screenshot contains the artifacts then it's the GPU, if the screenshot looks fine it's the monitor.

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I wouldn't buy a new GPU yet, the new ones are right around the corner, and you might be able to get a much better bang for the $$$.

As for your situation, what freeskier says is sane. :)
If you think it is a heat issue (which can cause what you are saying), then you might be able to increase the case's airflow, or clean out the old GPU / case fans.

May 11, 2008
Maybe you could ask your uncle to check the heatsink compound of the HD6800.
If it is dried up, it may not conduct heat from the gpu to the heat sink very well. Causing your gpu to overheat.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
If LCD, sounds like the screen. A half screen is a common symptom of a poor internal connection. The ribbon cable connecting the screens PCB to the panel is usually the problem.