• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Is it me or has PC games hit graphics parity?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rgallant

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2007
Reaching into someone else's pockets to do so is despicable and deserves condemnation.
-from QuantumPion sig.
-that's how I feel about these ports to PC -my $$$ for xbox games that don't even try to be coded for PC.
-what little code money go's to coders is wasted on trying to make a AAA game on 6 year old tech.-not game play\looks. then ported to PC , crippled and useless. BECAUSE there is no PC game QC. if these games ran on xbox\ps3 in the same sub standard as they do on a PC sony or MS would not allow them to be released.
-as far as ps3\xbox losing money it's not because their paying for good game coders ,everything would get dumped under that \marketing \pensions \sales people\exec limo's\brother in laws\and anything else they can think of.

Bonesdad

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2002
Animation and lighting are the two frontiers still lagging. Great lighting can mask average texture work and mediocre polygon counts. Fluid, seamless animation can sell it to the player, it really helps with immersion.
Good stories and characterizations help more with immersion. This is where the vast majority of games are failing miserably.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
diminishing returns + exponential costs + peak of uncanny valley = plateau in graphics.
-Hopefully this means they start finding easier and easier ways to bring us today's level of graphics fidelity at a lower cost, bringing indie games out from the world of retro sidescrollers and nifty puzzle games to something a 3-4 man team can hammer out in 6 months to a year that looks like Unreal 3 but reads like Homer's Illiad.

ASK THE COMMUNITY