Is it legal to install WindowsXP on two home systems?

Jul 16, 2005
I really know nothing about these kind of things, but I do know that my laptop came with a WindowsXP disk; I'm pretty sure it was in case you had to reinstall it.

If I was to build a desktop and needed an OS, would it be possible to use that disk to install Windows, and pass the verification test (would it be legal)?

Thanks.

Jul 16, 2005
Ah, thanks
that's too bad. So the only way would be to buy another copy of Windows, right? Should I wait until Vista comes out, or should I wait a while after it does so that bugs can be worked out?

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
I expect Vista to be a mess for some time after its release. While some people will probably find it great, I expect a decent chunk of users to experience compatibility problems with their existing hardware and software...which will probably be worked out in time. Microsoft may disagree but I think Vista was rushed out the door in the end (even if it did take 5 years to create) so that Microsoft can book some revenue.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Give Ubuntu a shot, it's free, it's easy, and there's nothing to lose.

If you just need email/web/office/media playback, you're set.

If you game, or need proprietary windows apps, XP for you!

Bob Anderson

Aug 28, 2006
Originally posted by: PotatoSandWitch
I really know nothing about these kind of things, but I do know that my laptop came with a WindowsXP disk; I'm pretty sure it was in case you had to reinstall it.

If I was to build a desktop and needed an OS, would it be possible to use that disk to install Windows, and pass the verification test (would it be legal)?

Thanks.

When you do your next build, be sure you buy your components with an OEM copy of XP. The OEM is much cheaper than retail. You cannot buy (at least not at most retailers) an OEM without purchasing some hardware, like a motherboard.

Sometimes you can get lucky though. A year ago I bought over $1000 worth of hardware from a Canadian e-retailer. It had shipped and then I realized I forgot to get an OEM XP. I phoned them up, and they shipped a copy with a piece of hardware. The guy wouldn't tell me what it was, but he said it wouldn't cost more than a dollar.

When I got it, it was a floppy cable connector for which they charged me 26 cents.

-Bob

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Arkaign

We really need to start vacations for these type of posts....

bsobel

Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: PotatoSandWitch
Ah, thanks
that's too bad. So the only way would be to buy another copy of Windows, right? Should I wait until Vista comes out, or should I wait a while after it does so that bugs can be worked out?

Your going to get lots of opinions on both sides, but I say wait a month for Vista.
Bill

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: bsobel
Originally posted by: Arkaign

We really need to start vacations for these type of posts....

He did have useful information at the end, and the post was much less intrusive than it could have been. ;)

bsobel

Dec 9, 2001
He did have useful information at the end, and the post was much less intrusive than it could have been. ;)

I'll have to disagree. I think those comments are perfectly reasonable for 'what OS should I put on this box posts'. When someone asks a specific question about a specific OS, others coming in to suggest something completely different are often trolling. This to me was a straight trolling post (albeit, politer than the usual 'use Linux' from a couple folks).

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: bsobel

I'll have to disagree. I think those comments are perfectly reasonable for 'what OS should I put on this box posts'. When someone asks a specific question about a specific OS, others coming in to suggest something completely different are often trolling. This to me was a straight trolling post (albeit, politer than the usual 'use Linux' from a couple folks).

I can basically agree with that. :)