Is it just me or is this really, really creepy?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

marvdmartian

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2002
Wanna be Star Wars walkers, no? ;)

The weird part is the inward-bending legs on each end. Instead of a "push me/pull you", it's a "push me/push you"!! LOL

jmmtn4aj

Aug 13, 2006
Originally posted by: Auric
Originally posted by: jmmtn4aj
If anyone's interested, that's BigDog, developed by Boston Dynamics and funded by DARPA. It's a robot designed to carry equipment and supplies for soldiers working in terrain not accessible by normal land vehicles, and in situations where air transport isn't available all the time. In particular the target audiences of this project are the various SOF groups, who frequently work in those kinds of terrain under those conditions.

Great way for Very Special Forces to give away their position; what with the noise. Perhaps when uber batteries are invented it can be motorized instead of be-engined.

Well, noise isn't really an issue. Currently when they have to travel they use Land Rovers or Toyota Hiluxes anyway. The thing is those vehicles can't traverse rocky ground or get near Osama's caves, so they need something else to carry the load. If they need to avoid being detected by an incoming patrol, solutions simple, turn it off and lie low :)

jw0ollard

Jul 29, 2006
The only creepy part is where it's always moving 2 of its legs at the same time. That just looks weird.

However, later when it's moving all 4 legs at different times, it looks like a robotic baby cow, and sounds like one too, which somehow makes it less creepy for me. :)

Maybe it's my avatar.