is it illegal to drive barefoot?

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
I don't know, but I do it on long trips with the cruise control on. It's kind of weird, actually, because it changes the feeling of resistance that the pedal gives.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware,Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming:
Barefoot Driving: Operation of a motor vehicle by a driver with bare feet is permitted.

Yea!!! :)

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Why would you want to?

I did it once just moving a car out of a driveway to let someone out. I didn't like the feel of the pedals under my bare foot. Didn't feel like I could push them down as hard or as quickly as when wearing shoes.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur
Why would you want to?

I did it once just moving a car out of a driveway to let someone out. I didn't like the feel of the pedals under my bare foot. Didn't feel like I could push them down as hard or as quickly as when wearing shoes.

I walk around barefoot alot, and took a drive today to run a quick errand barefoot.... didnt know the legality of it.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Interesting how many of those states have the Apalachians and Ozarks.:D

SammyBoy

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2001
barefoot driving PWNS. You can curl your monkey feet around the pedals and get super pedal feel. Barefoot driving > sweaty footed shoe driving > sandle driving.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
I don't think I could drive without shoes......don't want my foot slipping around on the brake pedal or anything.

Supermercado

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2002
I don't know if it is or not, but I can't do it. I'm so used to how the clutch and gas feel with my shoes on, I have a hard time driving in shoes other than my normal tennis shoes. I definitely can't drive in my sandals.

Darein

Platinum Member
Nov 14, 2000
Good thing its not illegal, cause I drive barefoot quite often, but mostly in flip flops.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I don't have a standard now, but you can feel the clutch in SO much better w/ bare feet or just socks on. I still like to drive w/ bare feet, I just feel more connected to the car.

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
My brother was once pulled over, and the cop asked him to step out of the car. He wasn't wearing any shoes, so he bent down to put them on. He looked up into the barrel of a gun.

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Nebor
I don't have a standard now, but you can feel the clutch in SO much better w/ bare feet or just socks on. I still like to drive w/ bare feet, I just feel more connected to the car.

This is often why you will see professional racecar drivers wearing special racing shoes; they are made thinner so you get a much better feel for the pedals, especially on the brakes which are easier to modulate depending on how much feedback (tacticle feel) you get from the pedal.

Jombo

Golden Member
Aug 19, 2001
Originally posted by: ThePresence
My brother was once pulled over, and the cop asked him to step out of the car. He wasn't wearing any shoes, so he bent down to put them on. He looked up into the barrel of a gun.

then he promptly put on his kneepad and went to work to avoid a ticket??? wth??

udonoogen

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: aphex
Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware,Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming:
Barefoot Driving: Operation of a motor vehicle by a driver with bare feet is permitted.

Yea!!! :)

no california. shoot. i do it all the time.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
I don't know, but I drive barefooted every day (since I'm a religious flip-flop wearer). ;)