Is it illegal to download tv shows via p2p software?

oog

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2002
I'm just curious, and I don't know where is the best place to find a definitive answer.

jonmullen

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2002
how is it different than recording it from T.V. aslong you are not resaleing it or using it for commerical use?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Yes, on the Family Guy DVD commentary they were talking about it. They didn't say specifically why it's illegal, but it is.

oog

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2002
Thanks for the quick replies. I'll assume it is download and just record my own videos.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I heard from somewhere (can't recall where) that if the show has been off syndication for at least 1 year, it's perfectly fine...

Truth ?

chin311

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
im sure it is...but i dont get how its diff. than tiv0 or VHS recording :confused:...

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
when you buy a VHS tape, a portion of it goes to pay for the usage of copyrighted material. the same was true for cassete tapes. thats why those recordable medias are so expensive. TIVO worked extensively with the trade groups to make sure that recorded shows stay on the tivo and thats why it is so tough to hack a TIVO.

hopeless879

Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: kaizersose
when you buy a VHS tape, a portion of it goes to pay for the usage of copyrighted material. the same was true for cassete tapes. thats why those recordable medias are so expensive. TIVO worked extensively with the trade groups to make sure that recorded shows stay on the tivo and thats why it is so tough to hack a TIVO.

So if the hard drive industry started paying all the media companies some extra money, and then raising the price of HDD's. Would it then be legal to download mp3s, movies, and tv shows? Theorretically?

CubicZirconia

Diamond Member
Nov 24, 2001
Originally posted by: hopeless879

So if the hard drive industry started paying all the media companies some extra money, and then raising the price of HDD's. Would it then be legal to download mp3s, movies, and tv shows? Theorretically?

The hdd prices would have to skyrocket to make everyone happy. There would be so many people wanting a cut it wouldn't even be worth it.

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000

I don't believe this for a second.

Who does the money go to exactly? Do they split the $.50 or $1 among EVERY company that has copyrighted materials broadcasting on TV?

stonecold3169

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
Originally posted by: pulse8

I don't believe this for a second.

Who does the money go to exactly? Do they split the $.50 or $1 among EVERY company that has copyrighted materials broadcasting on TV?

I'd believe it. I don't know specifics, but here in the US "music" cds are more expensive because they pay royalties to the music industry, which is why settop boxes typically only take music discs, which have a special watermark.

It makes sense that the same would hold true with the tape people. I believe in Canada all cds and dvds have a special tax built into them, which is why media is so much more expensive there.

As for why they don't factor that into hdd prices, lets say the fee on a video tape is $0.25. Lets say you can fit 3 30 minute shows on it. $0.25 divided by 3 is ~8 cents a show. Now look at how many shows, encoded at say 640x480 you can fit onto a 120gb hard drive. We're talking a ton of extra going into the prices. However, to me it would be worth it. Pick up a 120gb hard drive for $500 with a contract to download whatever the hell I wanted... the music industry gets say, ~$400 in royalties straight up, and I get unlimited music. Seems fair to me.