Is it Firefox, or my extensions?

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by BigToque, Feb 2, 2013.

1. BigToque

BigToque Lifer

The problem that I have is that Firefox just slows to an absolute crawl after 30-60 minutes of usage. The rest of the system is really speedy, so the problem is for sure limited to either Firefox or the add-ons.

I'm running the latest Firefox (18.0) on Windows 8. I'm running on a brand new clean install of Windows and Firefox at the moment, but I've had the had the same issue on Windows 7 and the last few versions of Firefox. I generally have 1-4 tabs open, and maybe up to 8 if I'm looking at a few things for school.

RAM usage (according to task manager) ranges from 250mb at launch to about 600 after an hour or two.

The extensions I use are:

AdBlock Plus
    NoScript
    Ghostery
    BetterPrivacy
    DownloadHelper
    NewTabURL
    UserAgentSwitcher
    NoSquint

Is there a known issue with any of these add-ons, or is the issue Firefox itself? I've installed Chrome and though I'd prefer to stay with Firefox, the sluggishness is really starting to get to me.

I guess I'll just browse with add-ons turned off to check for myself. Just thought someone might have some first-hand experience with an add-on causing similar problems.

#1 BigToque, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Firefox extensions Forum Date
    Firefox 36.0.4 tab extension? Software for Windows Apr 3, 2015
    firefox is a PITA. how to clear extension? Software for Windows Feb 28, 2015
    How to save/backup all my Firefox settings/extensions? Software for Windows Aug 23, 2012
    Firefox 4.01 Extensions Software for Windows May 26, 2011
    Firefox, is there an extension for this? Download everything nested in a folder Software for Windows Apr 11, 2010

3. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer

Try disabling Ghostery. I had minor slowdowns with it, but I've read of people having pretty bad performance.

4. hclarkjr

hclarkjr Lifer

18.0 is not the latest, 18.0.1 is http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2296544

5. Chiefcrowe

Chiefcrowe Diamond Member

some of them I am not familiar with but try disabling one by one and see what happens.
    I have noticed slowdowns when using ghostery myself.

6. Pray To Jesus

Pray To Jesus Diamond Member

disable Ghostery

7. John Connor

John Connor Lifer

8. lxskllr

lxskllr Lifer