Is it fate, or coincidence?

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Go back 6 years. I was in New Jersey graduating College and deciding which College to go to. In the end, I was down to two colleges: Plymouth State College (now Plymouth University) in New Hampshire, and Stockton College (now Richard Stockton College of New Jersey) in New Jersey. I wanted to go to Plymouth really bad (I loved New Hampshire at the time), but my parents influenced me a bit and I ended up choosing Stockton.

Fast forward a bit - I meet Heather, you all remember her. I meet her as one of the friends of a friend of a girl I know at College - VERY random. She goes to school in Boston. I date Heather, and begin coming to Boston all the time (every other weekend) from New Jersey. After I've seen enough of Boston and have become somewhat addicted, Heather and I start fighting, and we break up.

Right before Heather and I break up, I decide to apply for jobs in Boston so that I can come up here and be near her. After we broke up, I withdraw those applications and go work for Vonage. After a year and months of anguish and getting over Heather, I get a call from a recruiter, who, after a year of having my resume withdrawn, finds a cached version of it somewhere and wants me to come interview for a job in Boston.

Fast forward to early 2007 - I'm debating whether to take the job. Recruiter waits patiently for months while I make up my mind. I finally decide to move here.

I go on Craigslist and find a random girl who is renting out a room. I see it, love it, and rent it. A few weeks later, her brother moves in.

Now here's the catch. Tonight, her brother and I were talking, and I asked him what school he went to: he says Plymouth State in New Hampshire! In fact, we discover that him and I would have most likely been friends if I had chosen Plymouth 6 years ago because he graduated the same year I did, and we would have taken the same classes (and our track is well-defined, so he says the chances of us having taken tons of classes together would have been very high).

So my question is this: Had I gone to the New Hampshire College, being so close to Boston, would something else have drawn my attention here? Would I have moved here anyway? Was I meant to move here? And better yet, would I have become friends with Eric (the guy I'm living with now) had I gone to his school, and STILL moved in with him after graduating, therefore STILL living in the same place I'm in now, at this same moment?

Its fun to think about.

Cliffs:

- Don't read this thread, its interesting but pointless, and most will give it a :thumbsdown:, but I think its cool!
- I choose College A over College B 6 years ago
- Through many twists and turns, I end up in Boston
- Roommate went to College B and we would have known each other well had I gone there
- Question: would I still be living with him today?

DaTT

Garage Moderator
Feb 13, 2003
Wow...I thought you were going to meet up with heather again, turns out it was all just random babbling.

Wapp

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2003
Thats like totally something out of Donny Darko. I would watch out for falling plane debris.

Casawi

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004
I just realized that fate is spelled fate not faith, and faith != fate ...lol. Who said English was easy ?

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
I often think about things like this. What if I had made a different choice, where would I be, what would I be doing?

I moved to FL in 1993 and lived there until earlier this year. I moved from the Chicago area. I ended up working for a company here in FL that would like me to go back to Chicago. Right now I am in Cookeville, TN. It seems like I am going to end up in Chicago anyway.

Casawi

Platinum Member
Oct 31, 2004
My roommate who I met on Craigslist is very good friend with this girl, who is my friends co-worker. Should I be think ...wow .. nah man shit happens... smaller world than we think.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Originally posted by: DaTT
Wow...I thought you were going to meet up with heather again, turns out it was all just random babbling.

Same here.

At least have sex with the guy (since it's apparent that you have a crush on him) to make this story interesting.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: bigrash
Originally posted by: DaTT

Same here.

At least have sex with the guy (since it's apparent that you have a crush on him) to make this story interesting.

I second this suggestion. It sounds like you two are meant to be together.

imported_Baloo

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2006
Had you gone to New Hampshire, you have memories of the boyfriend, rather than the girl friend. And it would be heather you'd be running into now.