Is it dumb the way I tested for stability?

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
I am failing with my 2500k 5GHz venture due to insane amounts of voltage needed, and decided to go with a more reasonable 4.5GHz.

I usually spend an immense amount of time testing for stability, but didn't feel like it this time. What I ended up doing was running OCCT, IBT and Prime all at once for ~18 hours.

Was this dumb? Is it less stressful running these simultaneously, than running them separately?

Would you guys consider this a stable overclock at this point. My own thoughts on stability would usually be, 100 run IBT, 24 hours of OCCT, 24 hours of Prime 95 and ending with 24 hours memtest (booted off CD.)

I don't want to spend too much time testing stability, since I want to move on to overclocking my GPU next.

stable.png

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003

lol. Screw it. I'll stress test for real if I notice any crashes during gaming/normal use. :p
I wanna play with this stupid computer already.

FWIW, it made it through a 100 step run using 7GB+ RAM with IBT prior to me testing like this.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Personally I would call that stable.

Thanks. It's my first Intel system since I got rid of my Q6600 for my 1055T many moons ago.

I want to make sure everything is perfect. I've bluescreened many times on my quest to find my setup's sweet spot. Just wish I could have figured out how to get 5GHz out of her. :'(

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
lol. Screw it. I'll stress test for real if I notice any crashes during gaming/normal use. :p
I wanna play with this stupid computer already.

FWIW, it made it through a 100 step run using 7GB+ RAM with IBT prior to me testing like this.

Personally I would call that stable.

I'd agree.

Real world use will be the real stability test now. Sometimes it becomes more demading that the conventional stess testing apps!

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
I'd agree.

Real world use will be the real stability test now. Sometimes it becomes more demading that the conventional stess testing apps!

Yeah, back in the day I had a 3.8GHz Prescott that would run Prime all day long and pass any stress tests, but it would crap out during 3D Mark...lol Bringing that CPU back to 3.4GHz always stabled it right up.

Now that I think about it today, it could have been the power supply crapping out. ^_^

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Thanks. It's my first Intel system since I got rid of my Q6600 for my 1055T many moons ago.

I want to make sure everything is perfect. I've bluescreened many times on my quest to find my setup's sweet spot. Just wish I could have figured out how to get 5GHz out of her. :'(

Not all chips will be stable at 5ghz as well as not all motherboards will allow you to achieve stability at 5ghz if that makes any sense.

LOL_Wut_Axel

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2011
If you want to find max stability run -smp4 on folding@home for at least 12 hours. No, really.

My 2600K is "stable" on Prime95 and IntelBurnTest at 4.2GHz with 1.22V, but at that voltage I blue screen within an hour or two of running -smp8. I need 1.25V for stability. At 4.3GHz I'm stable in P95/IBT at 1.26V, but I need 1.30V for f@h. At 4.4GHz I need 1.28V for Prime95/IBT and 1.33V for f@h.

Of course, that's only if you want your system to never crash due to instability, no matter what.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
If you want to find max stability run -smp4 on folding@home for at least 12 hours. No, really.

My 2600K is "stable" on Prime95 and IntelBurnTest at 4.2GHz with 1.22V, but at that voltage I blue screen within an hour or two of running -smp8. I need 1.25V for stability. At 4.3GHz I'm stable in P95/IBT at 1.26V, but I need 1.30V for f@h. At 4.4GHz I need 1.28V for Prime95/IBT and 1.33V for f@h.

Of course, that's only if you want your system to never crash due to instability, no matter what.

I haven't folded in forever. Pretty neat that my stats are still around.

I killed a perfectly good Pentium II laptop after I upgraded it to 333MHz to use it as an extra folding machine. Man, I was so pissed. I don't even remember the make of the laptop anymore...scary.

If I weren't so mindful of wasting electricity these days, I would love to throw a few WU at Team AT.

Last edited:

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Not all chips will be stable at 5ghz as well as not all motherboards will allow you to achieve stability at 5ghz if that makes any sense.

Yeah. Maybe in a few weeks I'll upgrade the motherboard + mod my Antec Kulher 620 (if possible) and go at it again.

I can get into Windows at 5.2GHz and get a few things done, but it's a no go as far as stability.

dkm777

Nov 21, 2010
I second the Folding method. Both my Gulftown and Phenom II were tested this way and I had to bump the voltage by two notches compared to LinX and Prime. But now they can run DC for hours on end without a hitch.