Is it bad to have blood in your stool?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAWeinG

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2001
Just learned about this in 1st year pharm school a couple weeks ago. And yes, anytime you have blood in your stool, it is grounds for referral to a doctor as others have said.

If you want to find out ASAP (and to confirm) instead of waiting in the morning, try going to your local pharmacy and buying what's called a Fecal Occult Blood Test (FOBT). It detects blood in the stool. Read more about it here here.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
Damage inside the erm...well you know could mean a number of things that could potentially be very serious. Have it checked ASAP.

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
bright red is better then "coffee ground". This means it hasn't been through your intentional tract (you didn't digest it). You are probably "bleeding from the anus". Just have a doc take a peek at it.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: jmgonzalez
Go see a doctor asap

It could be a bad reaction to some food, or could be Colitis or Chron's

:roll:

it's not colitis... it's not crohn's... he never said anything about pain or diarrhea or sudden weight loss or anything.

gsethi

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2002
The ATOT Medical Team charges $300/hr before they can give their opinion :p

or

you can go to a doctor and have the problem diagnosed and fixed.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Originally posted by: XabanakFanatik
Originally posted by: Eli
Did you dump a big one and split yourself?

This made me lol!

I had a serious worry one day when all of my stool was a darkish red color. It looked like it was a lot of coagulated blood, but it turns out it was just from me eating a bag of flamin' hot cheetos the night before.

Dare I ask...the smell?

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Well I just worked out and did really heavy squats....perhaps I burst something. I have no pain really and I'm 30 years old. Maybe too much protein or lifting too heavy.

Rastus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: TheNinja
Well I just worked out and did really heavy squats....perhaps I burst something. I have no pain really and I'm 30 years old. Maybe too much protein or lifting too heavy.
Squats will give you hemis.

EarthwormJim

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
"You see, there comes a time in every child's life when they grow up and nature takes its course by having you bleed out your ass for a few days every month."

randym431

Golden Member
Jun 4, 2003
Stick with girls...

And they pulled my post from funnyordie about yellow ribbons on your suv :roll:

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
Oh man, I had some blood once in my stool like 2 weeks ago, purple-looking. But never since then. I'm gona die :( :eek: Then again maybe it wasn't blood :confused: :laugh:

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: lyssword
Oh man, I had some blood once in my stool like 2 weeks ago, purple-looking. But never since then. I'm gona die :( :eek: Then again maybe it wasn't blood :confused: :laugh:

Was it that eggplant?

j00fek

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2005
i bet a doctor would be able to give you an answer rather than a online forum

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: dabuddha
Originally posted by: lyssword

Was it that eggplant?
more likely it was Barney.

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
Originally posted by: jmgonzalez
Go see a doctor asap

It could be a bad reaction to some food, or could be Colitis or Chron's

He'd have other symptoms if it were Colitis or Crohn's such as loss of appetite, abdominal pain, diarrhea, joint pain, fatigue, etc.

<---Has had Crohn's since 1990