Is it bad idea to run a router and switch without their housings?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by alfa147x, Dec 9, 2012.

1. alfa147x

alfa147x Lifer

Another networking question for you guys:

I'm brainstorming a new project and was wondering if these items sitting bare board near each other would cause issues. The problem is that I need to save space. I'm already thinking about going with a portable router to do that. any down side to this plan?

Thanks!
    Alfa

2. theevilsharpie

theevilsharpie Platinum Member

I'm trying to think of a situation where removing fixed networking equipment from its chassis is necessary, but I'm drawing a blank :confused:

3. Jimmah

Jimmah Golden Member

Should be ok, I've run piles of gear without cases near each other for extended periods without issue.

4. alfa147x

alfa147x Lifer

Packing everything in a pelican case for a deployed marine. Trying to save space. If I can remove the case I can use metal standoffs to screw the boards to the case using metal standoffs to keep everything sturdy.

5. heymrdj

heymrdj Diamond Member

Should work fine as long as you leave any attached heat sinking intact. If you do happen to have a larger model that sinks to the frame of the switch/router, then you may need to consider reworking it to include some cooling.

6. RadiclDreamer

RadiclDreamer Diamond Member

As long as cooling is in line you should be fine

7. cmetz

cmetz Platinum Member

alfa147x, if any of the equipment has fans, YES, it's a bad idea because you will not develop the correct pressures in the correct places to do convective cooling. Also keep in mind that even passively cooled gear depends on the environment around it being cooler than it is; when you put another heat source close to it you get the opposite of passive cooling...

Also, running sans case is a potential short hazard.

8. ScottMac

ScottMac Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member

It will radiate EMI/RFI.
    The interference may affect other equipment or receivers, depending on clock rate and PCB design.