Is it bad for beer to go from cold > warm > cold again?

zixxer

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2001
I'm talking beer.. is it okay for it to warm up, then let it get cold again?

I don't care about meat or whatever, just beer.

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
yes, it will taste "yeasty." It's a hard to explain taste, but those that can taste a beer gone from cold to warm to cold know what I am talking about.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
If you absolutely need to keep beer outside of the refrigerator, buy it from the distributor or grocery store warm. You will notice the difference b/w a beer gone from cold, warm, cold, as opposed to always ice cold.

Ladies Man

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: JC
Makes it skunky. :|

yep.. i would suggest keeping it cold...
if you can not keep it cold i suggest drinking them all as quickly as you can no matter how many there are.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It'll certainly loose some freshness...but nothing like taking a case of beer out of the fridge, putting it in the trunk of somebodies car for three days in 95+ degree heat, and then putting it back in a fridge.

Holy hell that was some skunked beer!

TGregg

Dec 22, 2003
It seems to depend on the brand. Once I had some Coors Light that went from room temp, to frozen, back to room temp, back to cold. Tasted normal. I've had Labatt's Blue (now known as Labatt Blue) that went cold/warm/cold and you could tell it was skunky the moment you popped the top.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
Carbonated drinks go flat if you do that. Which is why I kicked a co-employees ass once when I worked at a convenience store for leaving two crates of soda out of the cooler.

So if you ever pick up a soda and it taste like sugar water, that's why.

badmouse

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2003
Depends on if you're a beer fanatic or not. Those of us who open, drink, toss can, <repeat>, have not found it to be a problem.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
like people here have said...its called being skunked....and yes it is bad.