Is it alright to do something non-consitutional if it's for the good of the people?

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000
I was checking out the news and found this article on a "radar-like device that uses electromagnetic waves to peer through clothing and detect concealed weapons from up to 50 feet away." People are arguing for and against this, but wouldn't it help the general public? It would also defy the constitutional right to bear arms. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Our fore-fathers wrote that piece of paper to assist/protect/ the public, and we've seemed to be able to use it for quite some time now (except for the amendments we've made). Do you think this sort of detector deserves a constitutional amendment which has been set in motion and practiced for years on end now?

I, myself, believe such a device would be good for school officials to carry around, protect the school without the student's knowledge. And, if a constitutional amendment is needed then so be it.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Your constitutional right to free speech doesn't mean you can yell "FIRE!" in a crowded theater.

Your constitutional right to bear arms doesn't mean I don't have the right to know you are packing.

Ladies Man

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
to answer your question
YES

We the people can rip up the constitution if it's NOT for the good of the people

and to the answer of your topic... NO
All i need is to get shot cus i am legally carrying a gun

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

<< I, myself, believe such a device would be good for school officials to carry around, protect the school without the student's knowledge. And, if a constitutional amendment is needed then so be it. >>

In a situation like that I think such a device would be acceptable if governed by strict guidelines.

<< Your constitutional right to bear arms doesn't mean I don't have the right to know you are packing. >>

Sure it does...ever heard of invasion of privacy?

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
carrying a gun in public is a privacy issue? I hardly think so...

MajesticMoose

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2000
It has nothing to do with the second amendment(right to bear arms). The argument comes from the fourth amendment protection from unreasonable search and seizure. I personally don't care if you know if i'm carrying (a knife not a gun:)) but i'm not sure i want to have that much radiation going through me, especially if its enough to work 50 feet away. This will never happen, i'm sure of it. We have the constitutiuon for a reason, and we need to abide by it.

m00se

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

<< carrying a gun in public is a privacy issue? I hardly think so... >>

Sure it is. Why is that any different than someone carrying a pocket knife? If I have something on my person then you have no right to know what or where it is.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

<< Your constitutional right to free speech doesn't mean you can yell &quot;FIRE!&quot; in a crowded theater. >>

Actually, you can if its a lit area where no one would believe you. Its only when its dark and someone might actually think there is a fire that you aren't allowed.

Tominator

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I want to know if someone carries a rubber...hell, he might decide to have a go at anything!

We already have cops with heatseeking devices checking attics for pot plants. Nect they will use it to check for a smoker in the home and take the children away from abusive parents...

George Orwell's 1984 has arrived!...a bit late, mind you, but he was right on!

That device is obviously going to cause a lot of debate.

However, there is NOTHING in the Constitution about a 'right to privacy.'

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
no, if something is unconstitutional but good for the people, an amendment should be made before simply implementing something unconstitutional. However, I think this gadget (or plan, whatever it is) is a bad idea in the first place.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
This type of device would be yet another dangerous step in the direction of big-brother-ism, so I'd be against it on those grounds for starters........

As for the question &quot;is it alright to do something non-constitutional...&quot; , the answer is NO. If something is for the good of the people (and 'the people' agree that it's a good thing for them), then an amendment can be made to said constitution to allow for it, thereby making it &quot;constitutional&quot;.

<<It would also defy the constitutional right to bear arms.>>

How so? The constitution says you have the right to bear arms, it doesn't say you have the right to bear arms and not have anyone know about it. In fact, several states have laws against concealed carying of guns, but not about a gun carried in plain view (for example Texas). Just because you're &quot;packing&quot; doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong.......

blueghost75

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2000
ok, the answer to this is really, really simple:

If it violates the constitution, then it is not for the good of the people. (yes, I put a PERIOD at the end of the sentence)

I refuse to change my stance in any way.

1967mustangman

May 31, 2001
Tominator is right. Once we give up one right they will take them all. While this device maybe benifcial in someways it serves as a great detrement to our soceity. Itsets a dangerous precendent - one we cannot afford to have set.

Josh

Lifer
Mar 20, 2000

<< How so? The constitution says you have the right to bear arms, it doesn't say you have the right to bear arms and not have anyone know about it. In fact, several states have laws against concealed carying of guns, but not about a gun carried in plain view (for example Texas). Just because you're &quot;packing&quot; doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong....... >>

True, but you would be the eye of suspicion to all those around you. People could around others' houses and see if a gun were available, this could be more of a threat..

convex

Banned
May 24, 2000
texas has concealed carry laws, and it is illegal to carry in plain site everyone