Is it against the rules to put weights back at the gym now?

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
When I was a member of a local gym... all the weights were always put back and easy to find/get. Joined retro a year ago and I think it must not be allowed or something. I don't know if I've ever seen someone put weights back. I've always done it but lately I feel weird because i never see it!

Its impossible to find anything you need, plates are just randomly put all over the place, on top of smaller ones etc. Workers NEVER move them back... or tell anyone that clearly just left 500lbs of weight on the bench to put them back.

I don't get it!

Moved to correct forum -AT Mod DAPUNISHER

Last edited by a moderator:

HOWITIS

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2001
When I was a member of a local gym... all the weights were always put back and easy to find/get. Joined retro a year ago and I think it must not be allowed or something. I don't know if I've ever seen someone put weights back. I've always done it but lately I feel weird because i never see it!

Its impossible to find anything you need, plates are just randomly put all over the place, on top of smaller ones etc. Workers NEVER move them back... or tell anyone that clearly just left 500lbs of weight on the bench to put them back.

I don't get it!

500 pounds is the minimum anyone should bench. To remove them and force someone to add them back is rude

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
500 pounds is the minimum anyone should bench. To remove them and force someone to add them back is rude

I played high school football with a guy who benched almost 500 pounds when we graduated. It was like playing football with an silverback ape.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Varies wildly from what I've noticed. My own personal experience is that at the "trendier" gyms weights have a habit of not being returned and at the "hole in the walls" there is more etiquette. YMMV.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
Unfortunately it only takes a couple of clueless people doing this for it to spiral out of control.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
The only thing that kills me at my gym is that there are 2 guys that have this chronic problem about not wiping down equipment when they are done using it.

I've been trying hard to hear their names so I can write a letter about it. I don't dare say a word to them personally cuz they'll probably beat my ass. lol

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i go to retro fitness and don't have this problem.

the problem here is that you are in jersey.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
It's mostly the young kids that think it's someone else's job to do this. I said something to this one asshat with his music blasting, dropping his 40lbs (for bench) each set, and leaving a weights either on the floor or re-ordering the dumbbell rack for his 'supersets' and then not fixing the order after. It was just me and him there so he didn't pay much attention, but next time I am sure my buds there will be all over this. I got in late and most of us that do early morning workouts (my usual time is early) have wondered who is reordering all the dumbbells at night.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
I wouldn't say it's just the young kids...it's just the ignorant folks that think they are better than everyone else. I've seen it a lot at 24, but haven't really run into that issue yet at LifeTime.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
i always put my weights back and there are signs at my retro. Most people put theirs back also. If someone forgets it's really not that big a deal to change out the plates.

Spamela

Diamond Member
Oct 30, 2000
there are friday night morons at my gym who leave plates on the bars or scattered all over, ditto dumbbells. it's almost funny to see 315 lbs on the squat rack bar and a neck pad.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
there are friday night morons at my gym who leave plates on the bars or scattered all over, ditto dumbbells. it's almost funny to see 315 lbs on the squat rack bar and a neck pad.

I get a small giggle out of that, too.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
that is funny.

+1 (or I guess +3 at this point).

There are more people at my gym who squat with horrible form than those who actually come close to doing it right. Not that I particularly care how, why, or when someone lifts (so long as they aren't doing something completely doucheriffic like the infamous squat rack bicep curl session while there are obviously people waiting).

One older gentleman in particular will throw on 4 plates for his heaviest set, and I'm quite serious in saying that I'd be surprised if he gets more than a 6" range of motion. He's also particularly loud while doing so, and "supersets" between the rack and two or three other pieces of high-traffic equipment with absolutely no consideration for other lifters who might be waiting on that equipment. Luckily, he tends to show up at the end of my workouts, so his "routine" doesn't generally disrupt mine.

There's also an epidemic of people not just dropping weights, but literally throwing them at the ground when they're finished with a set. Quite a few times, I've seen dumbbells bounce to the point of almost hitting other people nearby. I'm just waiting for one of the dumbbells to break in half while it's being held over one of these jerks' heads, given how badly they treat the things. In my opinion, if you aren't strong enough to set the weight down on the floor like a normal human being, then you aren't strong enough to be lifting it in the first place. Same goes for re-racking weights. And if you're a heavy sweater and aren't considerate enough to wipe down your bench when you're finished with it, you shouldn't be in a public gym at all.

Last edited:

Sixguns

Platinum Member
May 22, 2011
I find myself cleaning up the gym while I work out. I cant stand for there to be random weights all over the place. I cant seem to focus with it being cluttered. I go to a small gym so its kind of cluttered to begin with. I dont understand why people will take something to the other side, use it once or twice, and then leave it there for people to trip on.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
There's also an epidemic of people not just dropping weights, but literally throwing them at the ground when they're finished with a set. Quite a few times, I've seen dumbbells bounce to the point of almost hitting other people nearby. I'm just waiting for one of the dumbbells to break in half while it's being held over one of these jerks' heads, given how badly they treat the things. In my opinion, if you aren't strong enough to set the weight down on the floor like a normal human being, then you aren't strong enough to be lifting it in the first place.

This is happening in my gym, is there a movie/tv show showing this? Dumbbells are all getting bent. The one dude doing it in front of me, I finally said something to. He was benching 40lbs in each hand and being all dramatic...freaking 135lbs wet probably.

Threw his cap to the ground and said "what?"

I said "Stop throwing your weights or I will throw you out of here"

He chilled out. Then left the leg sled loaded when he left. I just told the staff about it and they will/have talked to him about it.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
This is happening in my gym, is there a movie/tv show showing this? Dumbbells are all getting bent. The one dude doing it in front of me, I finally said something to. He was benching 40lbs in each hand and being all dramatic...freaking 135lbs wet probably.

Threw his cap to the ground and said "what?"

I said "Stop throwing your weights or I will throw you out of here"

He chilled out. Then left the leg sled loaded when he left. I just told the staff about it and they will/have talked to him about it.

Yeah, that's another one of my pet peeves (the leg sled), given that people will often load tons of weight on there and then act as if it's someone else's job to rack it/clean up after them.

So long as someone's just considerate and respectful, I don't care what they're doing. But when their habits start interfering with my and others' workouts, that's when it starts getting irritating. I mean is it really that hard to put back the weights that you yourself got out, and to wipe your bench down so it's not dripping with sweat?

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000

lol

If I see people not put their weights away and they leave them I ask them to put the weights away. The PT trainers don't like it and I don't like moving peoples weights back in to the rack. I always put my weights back as it's really annoying moving people's weights.

Koing