Is it a requirement to run a memtest86+ pass on a new build? Or only if problems?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just curious what other people's opinions are on this subject.

Do you do an overnight memtest86+ on your RAM on a new build, to burn it in, or only if you have issues with the build and stability?

I've run a few OCCT 4:64-bit linpack with 90% RAM coverage (16GB installed), which ran for an hour, but I haven't run any overnight memtest86+ runs.

Do you think I'm good? I haven't had any wierdness or crashes.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I always do, ram tends to show some really wierd and hard to tack down symtoms sometimes when it goes bad so its better to make sure its good to go from the start than spend hours trying to track it down later.

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
I always run atleast 1 full memtest86+ pass

It's best to discover an issue early rather than immediately run your OS and potentially get unnoticed corruption or random issues (which you might falsely blame on software/drivers).

A full memtest86 pass catches the vast majority of mem/cpu issues in my experience(maybe 95%).
The rest can usually be found with gaming, intensive apps, or regular use (if any).

Generally if your system can run distributed computing thru the night, or not crash during a few hour FPS binge, then it's likely 100% stable :)

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Generally if your system can run distributed computing thru the night, or not crash during a few hour FPS binge, then it's likely 100% stable :)

Yes, I've been running DC the past few days, but only Neurona@home WUs take up enough RAM to really check anything (7.8GB), and I don't know if those WUs have the ability to self-detect errors.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Do you do an overnight memtest86+ on your RAM on a new build, to burn it in, or only if you have issues with the build and stability?

Nope. Only if there are problems with the system, or if the RAM is overclocked.

Then again I'm kind of weird like that. For instance I have no interest in scheduling an anti-virus software to do nightly scans of my HDD that I already know is clean of computer viruses. I rate scanning an otherwise known "clean" system to be as much a waste of time as testing brand new hardware running at stock speeds. But that's just me.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001

Then again I'm kind of weird like that. For instance I have no interest in scheduling an anti-virus software to do nightly scans of my HDD that I already know is clean of computer viruses. I rate scanning an otherwise known "clean" system to be as much a waste of time as testing brand new hardware running at stock speeds. But that's just me.

Ditto

I see no need to do it, particularly ever since RAM overclocking became no longer a requirement for overclocking the CPU

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I run through a few cycles of memtest86 on new builds.
If anything goes wrong and I need to return parts, I'd rather do it before spending a few hours of loading up OS and apps

Jacky60

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2010
It's an absolute requirement, you will be contravening federal law if you don't. Seriously if you haven't yet done it do it now before the FBI get on to you. I think a typical sentence is 3-5 years without parole. I, being the crazy natural born outlaw that I am, have never done it on the 15 builds I've done so far so please don't tell anyone.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004

that.
I just don't see the need to.

nardz84

Jul 11, 2008
Only if there are problems. Pretty much all the memory out there has a lifetime warranty so it doesn't matter to me if I find an issue when I buy it or a year+ into the system.

zCypher

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2002
It really depends on how meticulous you want to be. It's common enough to have bad RAM, which could work fine until some weird errors/crashes start to happen. I personally don't bother running a memtest until there's a problem, but I can certainly understand the idea.

I'd say if you leave all your settings at stock, it's less of a concern. If you overclock anything, you may want to spend more time testing the stability.

zuffy

Feb 28, 2000
I never do but I did it when I upgraded my laptop from 8GB to16GB since it's unofficially supported. I want to sure it will work. Ran memtest and one of the module failed even though the laptop never BSOD or crashes. Got an RMA with Newegg and the new pair pass memtest.

Coup27

Platinum Member
Jul 17, 2010
My rig below is all stock and everything is within spec (ie 1333 ram @ 1.5v). As a result I see no need to memtest and if there is a fault on my system I am sure my system will let me know, then I'll start debugging.

However if you overclock your CPU and RAM, then stress testing RAM helps validate the stability of your overclock.

The Keeper

Mar 27, 2007
Last year I was having data corruption issues which turned out to have been caused by a RAM module. Memtest86 didn't find any problems despite been running overnight. Funnily enough, Windows 7's memory diagnostic did find a problem. Unfortunately the Win7 diagnostic never tells which module, so hunting down the right module was real pain in the ass.

Finding the right module was made more difficult because all modules seemingly worked fine alone and in pairs, but not when used in threes or fours. But eventually found and replaced the misbehaving module and no corruption since.

It took me really, really long to even notice there was data corruption happening because it was so small and subtle, but it did happen.

But this taught me two things. 1) Run a memory diagnostic when you buy new RAM and when you suspect something's not working right. 2) Don't trust only Memtest86, use another diagnostic tool too. Luckily Win7 comes with one.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
I never do but I did it when I upgraded my laptop from 8GB to16GB since it's unofficially supported. I want to sure it will work.

However if you overclock your CPU and RAM, then stress testing RAM helps validate the stability of your overclock.

Right. If something isn't running in spec, then by all means test it. I'm usually good with a single pass, or two if I want to run it after it has heated up. I don't see the point in overnight or 24 hour tests because what's to guarantee that hour 25 doesn't show an error, or hour 26? When does the madness end? 72 hours? What if it errors at 73 hours? Run for a month straight?

The other reason to test a new build is if you are building systems for a living. You'll want to do some kind of validation/burn-in, because often it is a selling point.

My own stuff? Nah.