Is it a laptop? Is it a Chromebook? I can't figure it out. (It's just a Chromebook.)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Friend got a "Chromebook" from someone.

Friend said it was locked with a password. I looked it up, there's a way to "Reset and PowerWash" a Chromebook from the login prompt.

Then when I called said friend back to tell them the good news, they tell me that the guy upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, and it was unstable, lost programs, and I'm like, "I thought that you said that it was a Chromebook, you can't install Windows on a Chromebook." (*Not without some boot-loader hacking on some models.)

So at this point, I have no idea what kind of device it is. He said it had a sticker on the bezel, with "Chrome" and the browser logo.

Is it now possible to put Win10 on a CB? I've read that they now let you run Android and Linux apps on them.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I think it only works for some non-ARM based Chromebooks. I suspect it would only be successful if you can access developer mode and also activate USB booting and it would need an eMMC drive big enough to hold Win10 (I remember reading your prior post describing the joys of installing Win10 on a very small drive).

I have also read accounts of people getting Win7 and 8.1 to install and run as well as Linux on some Chromebooks.

Last edited:

AddisonAlbert

Feb 27, 2020
Chromebooks is lightweight, low-cost laptops that run Google’s Chrome OS platform. You normally can't install Windows on Chromebooks. But there are ways to install Windows on many Chromebook models.You can also windows 10 install on chromebook.

Download a Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft. Click “Download tool now”, select “Create installation media for another PC”, and tell it to download an ISO file for you. Windows 8.1 and 7 may or may not work with your Chromebook and its drivers

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
Really? I never heard Windows 10 could run on Chromebook! I know Linux can.

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
It's not that hard.
But there is risk of bricking the computer if done incorrectly or chance that the computer will reject the firmware-tweak upgrade.

Short walk-through guide;

Intel processors may run apps more easily.
Some Chromebooks come loaded with +8gb and i5 processors, so totally doable, mostly, and from a performance standpoint.
The so-called extreme battery life compared to other laptops make it a game changer when running Chrome versus Windows 10.
So even after installing Win10, we'd still have to strip it down from bloatware.

Win8.1 is nice because it's a combination of Win7 and Win10 shells without the bloatware after mostly cleaning it up to shell-GUI like Win7 or Win10.
Win8.1 EOL is 2023. Win9 was never released openly to public. So Win10 is basically the best option.

For IT Pro's that want to save time, it's just far more realistic to buy a computer preloaded with Win10.