Is Intel's upcoming 10nm 'launch' real or a PR stunt?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wahdangun

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2011
THAT is SPECULATION.

Had I not been a member of this board, I doubt I would even know that Lenovo released a cheap laptop in China with a CNL processor in it.
I haven't seen any big announcements from Intel crowing about the release.
Are they dancing over having "released" the first "10nm" cpu into the market?
If they are, I can't hear them.

Intel doesn't seem to be getting any benefit out of this release, so what is the supposed benefit to "forcing" Lenovo to release such a laptop in China?

because they need to launch it, if not they will be sued by shareholder, so they need to force lenovo to release laptop with 10nm cpu. even if the supply was <redacted>, with obscure cpu and with bottom of the barrel design.

Profanity is not allowed in the tech forums.
AT Mod markfw

Last edited by a moderator:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
because they need to launch it, if not they will be sued by shareholder, so they need to force lenovo to release laptop with 10nm cpu. even if the supply was <redacted>, with obscure cpu and with bottom of the barrel design.
They haven't launched anything, and there's no sign of any 10nm launch as far as I can see into the future.

A CPU line launch is generally a big deal, with an announced launch date and big events on launch day and a big launch announcement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lodix

Jun 24, 2016
They haven't launched anything, and there's no sign of any 10nm launch as far as I can see into the future.

A CPU line launch is generally a big deal, with an announced launch date and big events on launch day and a big launch announcement.
I don't know if you are implying that the lenovo laptop with this chips doesn't exist? You can look for the specs of this 10nm on the official Intel website.

plopke

Jan 26, 2010
I have no clue why everyone is nitpicking on if 10nm has launched or not , I am just seeing a very disappointing product on the market, OEM and investors should really start demanding some answers of Intel. Everyone is just blabbering themself into a other year of trying to fix it. If they have no clear 10nm roadmap by now , some drastic measure need to be made NOW while 14+++ is still very viable.

wahdangun

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2011

If 10 NM doesn't exist then what the hell is that Lenovo laptop?

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
If 10 NM doesn't exist then what the hell is that Lenovo laptop?
I think his point was that it wasn't a Launch. It's a pipe-cleaner, an OEM only product, that allows them to work with the node in a productive environment so they can hit their goals when they eventually move major production to the node.

While this might also exist to meet shareholder promises. It isn't a Launch. A launch means a big party and major announcements. If Intel wanted us to think that 10nm was ready and active even as a ruse. This would not be how they did it.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I think his point was that it wasn't a Launch. It's a pipe-cleaner, an OEM only product, that allows them to work with the node in a productive environment so they can hit their goals when they eventually move major production to the node.

While this might also exist to meet shareholder promises. It isn't a Launch. A launch means a big party and major announcements. If Intel wanted us to think that 10nm was ready and active even as a ruse. This would not be how they did it.
And we'd all hammer on Intel for calling it a launch, and rightly so...

wahdangun

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2011
Are you serious?

If it's not launched then why the CEO said they already shipped 10Nm cpu?

And if your definition of launching a product was like that then they never launch several low end cpu. And AMD or nvdia never launch their several ultra low end product.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Okay, I get it now you are being obtuse or there is a language barrier going on. There is a difference meaning between a new product release and a product launch.

Cannonlake hasn't been launched. If you want an example look at Skylake SP. Those were available to two clients for almost a year before the actual product launch.

Has Cannonlake been on the market? Yes. Has a 10nm been on the market? Yes. Has either been 'launched'? No as the limited 2c low clocked die is not a launch product for either the process or the product line, they in more of a proof of concept stage where the information gained off of these CPUs production process will help them later. Which is why you don't see a million "Cannonlake is here" and "10nm is ready for prime time" articles.

piesquared

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2006

And if your definition of launching a product was like that then they never launch several low end cpu. And AMD or nvdia never launch their several ultra low end product.
Yes, of course it was launched. The product is on the market, therefore it was launched. Some people are just trying to redefine the term. Happens all the time. It was a silent launch, but a launch all the same. Journalists and the industry have always used the term. Many products are silently launched, usually when the launcher doesn't want to bring much attention to the product for various reasons. Intel probably silently launched this to keep it from gaining any scrutiny from the press, since there doesn't seem to be much good about the product.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004

I don't count individual chips in a series as launches, just the public announcement of a new series of chips, such as when Intel announced Skylake.

But the whole premise of the thread is the "upcoming" launch of 10nm...?

If it's "upcoming", then it has not occurred yet.

If it already occurred, then the OP and thread make no sense.

When I asked if you were serious, I was talking about your claim that I said 10nm didn't exist. No one said that.

If you are going by the date that Intel said they were shipping 10nm chips, then this "launch" happened back in January.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Yes, of course it was launched. The product is on the market, therefore it was launched. Some people are just trying to redefine the term. Happens all the time. It was a silent launch, but a launch all the same. Journalists and the industry have always used the term. Many products are silently launched, usually when the launcher doesn't want to bring much attention to the product for various reasons. Intel probably silently launched this to keep it from gaining any scrutiny from the press, since there doesn't seem to be much good about the product.
Then why is this thread titled "upcoming"?

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
A product launch means a product launch. It doesn't even mean actual product availability as anyone who remembers older Nvidia and ATI launches.

It's why this OP kind of sticks out because it's about the sale of an only OEM product with no announcement or "launch" just one day Lenevo has a new sku. This question means a whole lot if Intel is using this as the launch of Cannon lake and the firestarter of 10nm production. This would come with a big launch which this product isn't getting. This CPU means nothing in regards to Cannon lake or 10nm at all. Which means the OP is pointless.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Then why is this thread titled "upcoming"?
Because the thread OP is a few days old, obviously. Don't you know it happened yesterday?

Seriously now, and paradoxically enough, all these studied machinations to support the cause are hilarious. Keep it up, I need the laughs.

Edit:
Not quite up to the Bill Gates level at the Microsoft vs USA trial, but I still have hope.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
What an absurd thread. On the first page, Intel is being excoriated for *not* having enough products for a true launch. Now on this page they are facing the same hating for "launching" a product that is subpar. Simply a bunch of nitpicking and twisting of words to find something to criticize. I dont see any proof that they are making false claims about the product. In fact I believe Intel has publicly stated that 10 nm will initially be inferior to 14++. In the absence of making false claims, seems to me Intel is certainly free to sell whatever product they wish.

Reactions: Edrick and Bouowmx

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Because the thread OP is a few days old, obviously. Don't you know it happened yesterday?

Seriously now, and paradoxically enough, all these studied machinations to support the cause are hilarious. Keep it up, I need the laughs.

Edit:
Not quite up to the Bill Gates level at the Microsoft vs USA trial, but I still have hope.
I'm actually not aware of anything that happened yesterday with Intel and 10nm that meets any definition of "launch" used in this thread.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Did you even read the article?????
Yes. It says Intel has a "triumphant launch" with a dozen OEMs selling 10nm chips, which doesn't seem to be true?
Is it silent or triumphant? Where are the rest of the dozen or so OEMs and chips?
The Lenovo 8121u laptop popped up for sale two weeks ago, not yesterday.

Officially Intel now has a triumphant launch of 10nm parts across a dozen or so OEMs which has to be real, right? The 10nm parts work, obviously have been in production since late 2017 as Intel said, and the crushing 10nm problems are anything but.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
What an absurd thread. On the first page, Intel is being excoriated for *not* having enough products for a true launch. Now on this page they are facing the same hating for "launching" a product that is subpar. Simply a bunch of nitpicking and twisting of words to find something to criticize. I dont see any proof that they are making false claims about the product. In fact I believe Intel has publicly stated that 10 nm will initially be inferior to 14++. In the absence of making false claims, seems to me Intel is certainly free to sell whatever product they wish.

This is simply what happens when the CEO of a multi-billion dollar company (arguably a server monopoly) lies and tells stories to analysts quarter after quarter and year after year about future products which never materialize, instead of being honest. Now Intel is in the very real position of being legally liable for Brain Kraznich's prior statements should they not "launch" a 10nm product.

Even if that product is so incredibly defective that they must pay bribes to OEMs in order to get them to take it.... Intel knows it MUST sell Cannonlake chips or face lawsuits. At the same time, they have to try and hide the extent of the true problems they are having with 10nm because if they are honest about that their stock price will crash and their massive 26 billion in structured debt could be at risk of re-assesment. Intel gets extremely cheap debt (their bonds pay very low amounts) because it is considered a low risk. That will quickly change if Intel's true problems with process technology become public. Their creditors will downgrade their credit and suddenly 26 Billion of debt becomes 32 Billion and at the same time if intel can't afford to upgrade their tech and do R&D on new architectures... you could see the company actually collapse. That is the true risk faced by Intel here.

The wizard of Oz, Brain Kraznich is still behind the curtain pulling levers and speaking in tones. We'll see how long he can keep that up. I don't think much longer.

ksec

Mar 5, 2010

huh?

They are not having quantity problems, they are selling as much 10nm as they could at a lost ( Likely Contra Revenue ). Reason because no body wants them.

Are you trying to argue it is not subpar?

And hell no they didn't said 10nm will be initially inferior to 14nm++, it will be inferior to 14nm++ in performance / higher wattage uses and hence no desktop parts until later. This is an mobile parts.

They are perfectly OK to sell whatever product they wish

td;lr They lied, they lied again, and again, they try cover up and some discover their act.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
And yet somehow we've known all along exactly what was going on with Intel and 10nm, every step of the way.

Amazing.

Mockingbird

Feb 12, 2017
Yes. It says Intel has a "triumphant launch" with a dozen OEMs selling 10nm chips, which doesn't seem to be true?
Is it silent or triumphant? Where are the rest of the dozen or so OEMs and chips?
The Lenovo 8121u laptop popped up for sale two weeks ago, not yesterday.

You still don't "get it" or maybe you don't want to.

Intel just sent 10nm chips to OEMs and considered that a "launch".

Or as Brian Krzanich puts it, "The process works, we're shipping 10nm product today. So I did want to make sure that that was very clear to you".

Reactions: PeterScott

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
I'm actually not aware of anything that happened yesterday with Intel and 10nm that meets any definition of "launch" used in this thread.
Was trying for sarcasm as "they launched yesterday" was obviously ridiculous. The ubiquitous /s to indicate sarcasm is akin to explaining a joke. No longer funny or sarcastic.