Is Intel expected to cut prices relatively soon?

Comdrpopnfresh

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2006
I'm getting a new motherboard (P5N-D), and am moving from socket 939 to 775.
I was wondering if Intel is expected to lower prices on 45nm chips in the next week or two.

I'm not sure which cpu to get either. I definitely want a 45nm part, from the heat/electrical perspective, as well as overclocking potential.

Right now, I'm looking at the e7200 or the e8400. But if Intel is going to release lower binned 45nm parts, I'd jump on that ( E2XXX, E4XXX type).

I record tv on two tuners, play some games (CSS and Civ), but may play more demanding games in the future. Besides that, I pretty much just surf the web, and use the desktop for media- nothing all that intensive.

I like the E7200, from the overclocking perspective, because of the 1066 FSB and higher multiplier, but I'm unsure of the impact of half the cache on my current uses, and any future ones.
I might not overclock if stock speeds show a huge improvement over my current s939 X2 overclocked to 2.6ghz from stock 2ghz. I expect with either choice the difference should be pronounced. I don't plan on overclocking for the hell of it, and running the cpu at max stable and higher volts only to outstrip my needs.
Is it feasible to run the E7200 st 3ghz and be able to undervolt it?

Is the $50 difference worth the additional 3mb L2, faster FSB (which I guess could be a detriment), and stock speed? What typical undervolts could be expected from an E7200 @ 3ghz vs a stock E8400? Cache aside, is there any performance difference between the two at 3ghz?

I see newegg has the E7200 @ ~$120, and the E8400 @ ~$170. Anywhere where these might be cheaper? If I run at stock speeds the warranty would be nice, but I plan on getting an aftermarket cooler, so I guess the warranty is voided anyhow. Because of a cooler, I don't care much about OEM vs retail.

Input/advice/guidance/experience?

Cheers,

Popnfresh

Comdrpopnfresh

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2006
Riiight... Not to knock it if thats "your site", but even tigerdirect has lower prices. I have heard they offer good prices there for Canadians, however. I guess the prices I saw on newegg already reflected this price drop.

Is it worthwhile, or risky to get an openbox item on newegg? They have an open box E8500 for the price of an E8400. I mean, with current cpus, there is no worry about pins. What is the chance of, say, the ihs being dented? Would that be a relatively risk-free investment?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Comdrpopnfresh
Is it worthwhile, or risky to get an openbox item on newegg? They have an open box E8500 for the price of an E8400. I mean, with current cpus, there is no worry about pins. What is the chance of, say, the ihs being dented? Would that be a relatively risk-free investment?

The risk wouldn't so much be physical in nature (dents) but electrical. Yiu have no idea how tortured that E8500 was by its temporary owner before they elected to return it.

It is reasonable to assume it didn't reach the original purchasers targeted overclocks...but what was it put thru (Vcore 1.5V?) while they were confirming it was a no-go.

That would be my concern with any open box CPU.

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
e5200 is supposed to be release sometime, and is apparently targeted at sub- $100 market.

Jul 10, 2007
the e7200 at newegg went from $130 to the current price of $120 a week and a half ago.

the e8400 at microcenter went from $180 to 160, and now the current price of $150 the past several weeks.

you have to be aware that the quoted intel prices are for qty of 1000+... so an e7200 is supposed to drop to $113 after the price cuts.
i figure at $120 newegg is making a couple of bucks each on these right now.... they will be holding steady for awhile so i bought one.
if it goes down, it may be another $5-10 at most, but who knows when. the uncertainty and the wait is not worth the extra $10 i may (or may not) save.

summary- don't be a cheapass. $5 (can't even get you a McD extra value meal) is chump change in the long run for using something you could be enjoying now.

Nov 26, 2005
Originally posted by: Idontcare

The risk wouldn't so much be physical in nature (dents) but electrical. Yiu have no idea how tortured that E8500 was by its temporary owner before they elected to return it.

It is reasonable to assume it didn't reach the original purchasers targeted overclocks...but what was it put thru (Vcore 1.5V?) while they were confirming it was a no-go.

That would be my concern with any open box CPU.

Excellent concern +1

I went ahead and bought open box items = 9300, P5K3 board, 3870, and all are working great. check my sig for 9300 OC

Comdrpopnfresh

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2006
How much of a savings did you get? Does newegg package openbox items fairly well? If I do get an openbox, I'd be disappointed if a component wasn't in an ESL bag, bubble-wrapped, and in a box w/ peanuts or other stuffing.

solog

Apr 18, 2008

I see newegg has the E7200 @ ~$120, and the E8400 @ ~$170. Anywhere where these might be cheaper?

yea, E7200 is $100 at Microcenter

v8envy

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2002
How much of a savings did you get? Does newegg package openbox items fairly well? If I do get an openbox, I'd be disappointed if a component wasn't in an ESL bag, bubble-wrapped, and in a box w/ peanuts or other stuffing.

Varies. Much of the time the 'open box' is the regular item and as far as I can tell never having been opened.

Other times it's a returned item in varying stages of distress and packaging, with missing or damaged components.

In my experience it's been mostly the first, and only once the second.