Is infidelity being glamorized?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Demon-Xanth
If a guy in a movie cheats on his wife he's scum.
If a girl in a movie cheats on her husband it's romance.

yip that is the truth.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Not by Mrsskoorb.

Interestingly, with the increase in "education" teenage pregnancy rates, at least in the UK, haven't gone down. I've absolutely no doubt that movies and media protrayals of sex are influencing youngsters towards it at younger ages than in the past.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Not by Mrsskoorb.

Interestingly, with the increase in "education" teenage pregnancy rates, at least in the UK, haven't gone down. I've absolutely no doubt that movies and media protrayals of sex are influencing youngsters towards it at younger ages than in the past.

Bah.. the solution there is to stop with this namby-pamby "educating" and start back up with the high intensity Christian fundamentalist religious indoctrination.. Put the fear of G-d back into these sinful teenage girls..

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Shockwave
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: eigen
But affairs definitely are romantic..... I have cheated as well and felt the guilt but also the pleasure....Thats the way life is...Sigh I am getting old.
You mean you broke the oath you made to the person you claimed to love above all others. Basically, your word means sh!t.

Never said he cheated on his wife. And I dunno what kind of weird ass relationships you have with girls, but I dont give them ANY oath while were dating!!

So you've never been in a monogamous relationship where you were exclusively dating a single person? Married or not, if you are in an exclusive relationship (married, dating, engaged, etc...) you have a duty to the other person involved to either break the relationship or try to work things out before "cheating".

However you want to justify your selfishness and/or lack of honor and loyalty is up to you. I find such behavior disgusting and reprehensible.

Kenazo

Lifer
Sep 15, 2000
Originally posted by: BullsOnParade
Other movies that glamourize infidelity:
1. American Beauty
2. Lost in Translation

Those movies must have gone over your head mate.

Of course hooking up w/ someone else wasn't the entire point of those movies, however they did make running away from marital problems look like the best way to deal with them, before coming around.

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: eigen
But affairs definitely are romantic..... I have cheated as well and felt the guilt but also the pleasure....Thats the way life is...Sigh I am getting old.
You mean you broke the oath you made to the person you claimed to love above all others. Basically, your word means sh!t.

The best life experience comes from making mistakes. Everyone makes them. Get off your fvcking pedestal.

Once a cheater, always a cheater is BS too. People cheat for a reason. Some people do because they're scum who have no consideration for other people's feelings. Some people do because they get caught up in the moment and make a bad judgement call. I still live with the guilt of cheating on my ex, and we've been apart now for almost 2 years. She still doesn't know. I would love to tell her, but it strikes me as a completely self-serving action that would only partially resolve some of the guilt I rightly deserve while causing her more undeserved pain. The guilt is a good thing because it is a constant reminder to never cheat on someone again.

nan0bug

Banned
Apr 22, 2003
Originally posted by: jjones
I find it unlikely that I would ever cheat on my wife but I don't hold any animosity for those that do cheat on their spouses. Marriage is difficult at its best and the divorce rate tells you that many marriages won't work out. In cases of cheating, it's most likely just a symptom of other, more profound marital problems.

Exactly.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: nan0bug
I find it unlikely that I would ever cheat on my wife but I don't hold any animosity for those that do cheat on their spouses. Marriage is difficult at its best and the divorce rate tells you that many marriages won't work out. In cases of cheating, it's most likely just a symptom of other, more profound marital problems.

Exactly.

guess people don't take their vows seriously?

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: spidey07

Exactly.

Just curious, are you married? If so, how long?

Modeps

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
I remember when Mrs. Doubtfire came out, I vowed that it was a movie that was terrible because it was trying to make light out of a divorce... and divorce was something that was not a funny topic. However then I realized that I was being self-rightous and it was only a movie meant for entertainment and said to myself "f it!" I suggest you do the same.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: freedomsbeat212
Originally posted by: spidey07

Exactly.

Just curious, are you married? If so, how long?

divorced, she had an affair.

My point is that movies are portraying infidelity as a "romantic, good and an OK idea" If it feels good then do it by golly! Repurcussions be damned!

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
its the soulmate concept. if things aren't the way they "should be", your soulmate is out there;)

eh, movies don't glamorize it. a good half of movies the adultery ends up with murder mystery or worse. heck, look at secret window out right now.

and heck, if u watched eternal sunshine, uknow it doesn't exactly glam cheating.