Is iMessage completely reliable for you?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Do you find iMessage to be reliable?

• Yes, 100% reliable. Never fails.

• It's very good but not perfect. Rare lost messages.

• It's not great. There are missing messages from time to time.

• No, it's terrible. It's just not reliable.

• I dunno. I use other form(s) of messaging.

• I don't use messaging at all.

• Other. (Please specify.)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
One problem for me is that some SMS and iMessages were going to different threads on the same phone, one associated with my phone number and one associated with my email.

Also, that meant my iPad wouldn't get the SMS, which would be confusing.

Last edited:

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
One problem for me is that some SMS and iMessages were going to different threads on the same phone, one associated with my phone number and one associated with my email.

I do wish there was a way, even if it was kludgy, to somehow merge threads, and just have it all under 1 name/ID. So I want to message my sister, who has an iPhone, iPad, and iMac. I don't want to have to care about email vs phone number, I just want to send the message. And if I have messages that I sent her from before we got iOS 4, just put those on the list too.

l45k

Sep 6, 2013
i occasionally have issues when it comes to sending pictures, other than that it's pretty good. i recently purchased a beefed up plan for my iphone 5 so i don't really need to use imessage all that often anyway.

MrX8503

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2005
Yeah, but ideally she should get an SMS as a fallback.

There's no fallback per-say. iMessage doesn't attempt to send iMessages to non iPhone users. When you open messages it defaults to SMS for everyone else. It already knows who's an iPhone user before the message is sent.

Set your iDevices' iMessage to use your phone number instead of your email. Disable your email in iMessage.

I have my iPhone, iPad, and MBP to use my phone number. It's pretty convenient to text people on my laptop.

Last edited:

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
No issues for me, I dont have SMS since anyone i want to talk to has an idevice but using it as a my SMS replacement works very well.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Well, speaking of iMessage, my 2 biggest annoyances right now are:

1. iMessages sometimes display out of order. I'll send one message, then another, and the second one will display first. Happens a lot when I send images as well. I recently switched to a new phone, fresh install, latest OS, didn't restore my old stuff, and it still does it.

2. When sending pictures from the camera roll, the first one will go through fine, then the second one will freeze up iMessage. Eventually it unlocks, if you wait long enough, and then half the time it has trouble sending it.

2a. Sometimes when I click on the camera icon from within iMessage itself & select a picture, it either lags, locks up, or doesn't actually send the picture, and I have to go & click on it again. This happens a lot less than #2 tho. #2 happens pretty consistently.

Plar

Aug 6, 2018
I didn't have problems with iMessage. All messages are always delivered and received. I like the new effects for sending messages. It's great. However, I can't say that I'm sure of the security of the transmission of such messages. I won't send a password from a credit card or access to a cryptoc wallet in this way.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
didn't look at the date, it was on the front page of the subforum *shrug*

Oh, hah. This sub-forum has pretty much died since Steve Jobs died...not really any major new products outside of the me-too iWatch, still no Mac Mini refresh. Not to say that their products aren't excellent, just not a lot to talk about. Even on their new product announcements today...not really any major new features or anything. I mean, an EKG on the iWatch...neat. Used to be a happening place with all of the cool stuff coming out from Apple all the time...they are extremely conservative now & not exactly what I would call the market leader in cutting-edge personal technology anymore, sadly.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Oh, hah. This sub-forum has pretty much died since Steve Jobs died...not really any major new products outside of the me-too iWatch, still no Mac Mini refresh. Not to say that their products aren't excellent, just not a lot to talk about. Even on their new product announcements today...not really any major new features or anything. I mean, an EKG on the iWatch...neat. Used to be a happening place with all of the cool stuff coming out from Apple all the time...they are extremely conservative now & not exactly what I would call the market leader in cutting-edge personal technology anymore, sadly.

Their stuff is still better built than any android device I’ve handled so there’s that. But truthfully I feel like phone tech has stagnated overall. There are now just incremental upgrades year to year and no major changes to the devices. It’s mostly going to be software support that makes the difference and for that you either like Apple’s ecosystem or you don’t.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I get a lot of messages that fall back to being sent as a text message because of network issues. I blame AT&T's crummy data coverage more than I blame iMessage for that.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I get a lot of messages that fall back to being sent as a text message because of network issues. I blame AT&T's crummy data coverage more than I blame iMessage for that.

During & after the Sept 12 Apple event, some of my iMessages were delayed getting into me by an hour...I got regular SMS messages from Android devices, but there was some crazy network lag for about an hour or two that day. It's rare, but it's super annoying when it does happen.