is household income a lie?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
my household income dropped precipitously in the last year. by more than half, in fact.

i have the same job, making a bit more money than last year.

but i don't live with that @#$% woman anymore.

if households have gotten more granular over time that tend to lower average and median household wealth.

so, if factors that would make households more granular have increased over time (divorce rates being the big one), it would have an impact on comparing historical household income figures.

heck, some things that are an indicator of prosperity (jr. getting a good job and moving out) that would, when incorporated into the household income measure, appear to be negative.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
My household income went down 45% because I no longer receive paid overtime and also took a 5% pay cut.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Originally posted by: ElFenix
my household income dropped precipitously in the last year. by more than half, in fact.

i have the same job, making a bit more money than last year.

but i don't live with that @#$% woman anymore.

if households have gotten more granular over time that tend to lower average and median household wealth.

so, if factors that would make households more granular have increased over time (divorce rates being the big one), it would have an impact on comparing historical household income figures.

heck, some things that are an indicator of prosperity (jr. getting a good job and moving out) that would, when incorporated into the household income measure, appear to be negative.

The best comparison is the median income of working individuals as it compares in terms of real dollars *that is, adjusted for inflation*

"house hold" is such a nebulous term...

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What the hell does it mean that families have gotten more granular? Is that the recrystallization of powdery families or something?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I think it's a factor but the main one truly is income vs inflation. Mine is up since 2000, although it was down since 07 (1% raise behind inflation).

Apparently median income when adjusted for inflation truly has dropped about $500 from 61k to 60.500 in the last 7 years or so.

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Originally posted by: Skoorb
I think it's a factor but the main one truly is income vs inflation. Mine is up since 2000, although it was down since 07 (1% raise behind inflation).

Apparently median income when adjusted for inflation truly has dropped about $500 from 61k to 60.500 in the last 7 years or so.

That isn't as bad as it could be nor is it as bad as it is going to be.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: DixyCrat
Originally posted by: Skoorb

That isn't as bad as it could be nor is it as bad as it is going to be.
Yeah it could have been worse and you may be right on second point.