Is homosexuallity something you are born with?

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
First off no flames,
i wanna hear some pro arguments.

Personally i think homosexuality is due to envrionmental factors ( i have somewhat of a freudia view), much like the rest of our psyche.
I've read about studies of identical twins of which one was gay and the other one wasn't. That means homosexuality is not genetic - or something you're born with since identical twins share the same DNA makeup.

EDIT: Lil update, im surprised how well you guys are behaving.. other than few idiots this thread is flame free :)

Also heres another argument. There is no documented homosexual tendancy in other species other than human and 1 out of 10 (typical homosexual population ) would mean the nature is wasting 10% of the total population (no reproduction) - that doesnt seem to be too effective or evolutionary

blackdogdeek

Lifer
Mar 14, 2003
Originally posted by: halik
First off no flames,

Personally i think homosexuality is due to envrionmental factors ( i have somewhat of a freudia view), much like the rest of our psyche.
I've read about studies of identical twins of which one was gay and the other one wasn't. That means homosexuality is not genetic - or something you're born with since identical twins share the same DNA makeup.

i'm pretty sure that the no flames disclaimer won't stop the flames. as such, i'm going to sit back and roast some hot dogs.

guapo337

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2003
how does one know the straight twin wasnt simply repressing his desires? (that IS a valid point)

secondly. would people "become" homosexual when there is so much hate and anger towards homosexuals at times? i, personally, would never "become" something where i had the potential to recieve so much grief.

i, personally, believe that homosexuals are born homosexual.

i am not gay.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: guapo337
how does one know the straight twin wasnt simply repressing his desires? (that IS a valid point)

secondly. would people "become" homosexual when there is so much hate and anger towards homosexuals at times? i, personally, would never "become" something where i had the potential to recieve so much grief.

i am not gay.

I concur.

masterxfob

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
do a search, you'll notice that most every other thread on homosexuality has lead to flame wars.

SuepaFly

Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: blackdogdeek
First off no flames,

i'm pretty sure that the no flames disclaimer won't stop the flames. as such, i'm going to sit back and roast some hot dogs.

I have some Corona in the fridge, wanna make it like a tailgate party? ;)

And for the record, it doesn't matter to me which it is. People are people.

guapo337

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by: conjur
Originally posted by: guapo337

i am not gay.

I concur.

good :)

ask anyone who's gay. most (if not all) will tell you that it is the way they were born. how can you argue against someone who has firsthand experience.

sexual desires are not simply something you chose. they occur. without your help. you cant teach yourself to want someone. it is subconscious and subliminal.

guapo337

Platinum Member
Apr 7, 2003
Originally posted by: filmmaker
Originally posted by: fuzzy bee

wouldn't this be anti-evolution?

Evolution isn't perfect.

very true. well said. find me one thing in this universe which is truly "perfect" (this stems into a whole other topic) and i'll be impressed.

Rilescat

Jan 11, 2002
First off no flames,

being genetically identical does not mean that you are identical. Look at the cats that were cloned last year. They didn't even look alike.

I don't think we are as on the ball as we think we are with genetics.

to you actual question: No. I think homosexuallity can be an environmental trait. You may be predisposed to it due to your genetics though.

TheNinja

Lifer
Jan 22, 2003
Originally posted by: xospec1alk
i believe people are born homosexual too. it is NOT a choice.

I believe people are NOT born homosexual. It is THEIR choice to be that way. Let me rephrase that a little. I believe certain people are born with stronger homosexual curiousities, just like I might be born with a curiousity to know what it would be like to rob a store, or jump a dirtbike really high, however acting on these feelings is a choice. Everything you do is a choice, if you are a homosexual that is your choice, not something you are biologically born with.

bolinger

Apr 16, 2003
I think you're born with it.

I've known guys in grade school who were fags, and they were still fags in high school too.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
Originally posted by: bolinger
I've known guys in grade school who were fags, and they were still fags in high school too.

and heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrre we go
rolleye.gif

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
if a person grows up fantasizing about other men, its not a mere curiosity....its something they were born with. imho.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000

Riiiiight. So many grade-schoolers, who haven't even caught a whiff of puberty yet, are still very clear about their sexual orientation.
rolleye.gif

Kenny

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2002
Incidentally, someone did a study on this. I totally forgot names etc...but they were showing it on the news. This is what they said:

If your ring finger is shorter than your index finger, then you're most likely a homosexual. This is definitely not 100% of the time, but this is what he got from his study. It has something to do with your psychological self when you are in your mothers womb.

Not sure how accurate it is, but he made sense.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
First off no flames,

You should read more carefully before expounding on this subject. The twins studies (which are very limited to begin with) indicate a correlation, but not an absolute one. So the odds are higher that if one twin is gay, the other will be as well, but this isn't set in stone. That would indicate both a genetic and social/developmental component.

That's about it.

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001

Not coincidentally, stupid is forever too.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Staley8
Originally posted by: xospec1alk i believe people are born homosexual too. it is NOT a choice.
I believe people are NOT born homosexual. It is THEIR choice to be that way. Let me rephrase that a little. I believe certain people are born with stronger homosexual curiousities, just like I might be born with a curiousity to know what it would be like to rob a store, or jump a dirtbike really high, however acting on these feelings is a choice. Everything you do is a choice, if you are a homosexual that is your choice, not something you are biologically born with.

Then the same could be said heterosexuality, with that thinking.

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: t60
Incidentally, someone did a study on this. I totally forgot names etc...but they were showing it on the news. This is what they said:

If your ring finger is shorter than your index finger, then you're most likely a homosexual. This is definitely not 100% of the time, but this is what he got from his study. It has something to do with your psychological self when you are in your mothers womb.

Theres a saying.....regarding a little knowledge being a dangerous thing.....might want to check that out.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Given the level of persecution homosexuals face in this country, I kinda doubt most would consciously choose it as a lifestyle.

Caminetto

Jul 29, 2001
Actually it can be both genetic and choice. What makes you think it has to be one or the other?

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: t60

ROFL send me some of that crack you're smoking, it sounds like it does the job realllyyyyyyyyyy good.