Is google been busy again and going retro ? Like a homage to the Atari 2600 videochip ?

May 11, 2008
? Why does the search website give such limited image results per page ?
The whole setup of the page is mind being blown for me.

It is like google is no longer requesting the size of your monitor. Nor do they have this horizontal scroll option ?

Do you guys and galls see the same weird effects ?

It is like going to 1980 game console screens again...
Woopie doo ! 160 x 192 of pixels area once again !

The image result page from google reminds me of space invaders.

See image as example on a normal monitor:

weirdshit.jpg

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
FYI the Atari 2600 had 128 bytes of RAM. Yes, 128.
Douglas Crockford said those who wrote games on the 2600 were superheroes.

FWIW I'm not able to reproduce your screen shot. On desktop or mobile browsers, Google image search fills the entire window.

Jul 27, 2020
FYI the Atari 2600 had 128 bytes of RAM. Yes, 128.
Oh no. I had something like a 600 XL? The bad memories of waiting minutes for something to load from cassette tape and then not working. Dropped the cassette recorder once and it never managed to load games again. That didn't stop me from wasting time and hoping it would work some day.

Also, typing hundreds of lines of BASIC from a book saying it was a cool game and the result would always be way more pathetic than a cartridge game. It was my first introduction to computers and if I hadn't gotten a 386 afterwards, I would've considered computers to be horrible, horrible devices with limited utility.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Oh no. I had something like a 600 XL? The bad memories of waiting minutes for something to load from cassette tape and then not working. Dropped the cassette recorder once and it never managed to load games again. That didn't stop me from wasting time and hoping it would work some day.

Also, typing hundreds of lines of BASIC from a book saying it was a cool game and the result would always be way more pathetic than a cartridge game. It was my first introduction to computers and if I hadn't gotten a 386 afterwards, I would've considered computers to be horrible, horrible devices with limited utility.
I think you're younger than I am. The first PC I had used an 8088 CPU, and was not fully IBM compatible. I skipped the cassette tape era, starting off with 360k floppies and a 10MB HDD.

Later on, I did have an Atari VCS (aka 2600) but didn't spend endless hours on it. Wasn't until the 386 that I really loved PC gaming.

Speaking of BASIC, luminary Niklaus Wirth created Pascal to teach structured programming. Wirth believed BASIC encouraged spaghetti code (as it was later called). He passed on Jan 1st but WSJ didn't publish an obit until a few days ago:

WSJ - Niklaus Wirth, Who Inspired a Generation of Computer Programmers, Dies at 89

One of Bill Gates' greatest feats long before illegally grinding his competitors into dust was writing Altair BASIC to fit on a 4k (RAM) system. According to Wikipedia, 790 bytes were available for your program code. :tearsofjoy: Gates also did this while "borrowing" valuable computing time on a Harvard mainframe; yep he wrote BASIC on an emulator rather than an actual 1970s era microcomputer.

Reactions: igor_kavinski