is Fractal Define R4 with window a good case?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Shephard

Nov 3, 2012
lol this is one of my first topics here.

The deal breaker for this case was the price. It was going for $115-120 Canadian, but I snagged it for $89 after tax / shipping.

It's definitely one of the better cases I have owned.

Great build quality, with the exception of a rivet that wasn't filed down properly so the psu didn't line up with two screw holes.

It's very heavy, but that goes with the solid construction I suppose.

The only con I have to say is the stock fans. They are not that quiet. The sound dampening foam is also a gimmick. Windowed or not, it does nothing.

I'd give it an 8/10. Worth it if you can get it for under $90.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
This is actually the same case I went with for a rebuild in September. Excellent case, though it is quite heavy. My previous Lian Li case was a full tower and probably have the weight of the R4. Steel vs aluminum though.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i can put the window on mine and see if i notice any difference.

my hard drive seeks are boomy in the R4. couldn't hear it in the P183. and that's using the superior soft grommets from the P183 rather than the harder grommets that come with the R4. the sides of the R4 aren't as dead as the ones on the P183 either. the front of the R4 comes off really easily too, as the fans and filter are accessed from behind the front. the power button does feel cheap and the USB 3 ports on top are finicky to use.

that said it's still probably the best case at $80 by far.