Question Is EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Black Edition GAMING worth it? or get another model?

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
I currently found a person willing to sell me an EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Black Edition for $400. That's a pretty good deal if you ask me. However I was wondering if it was worthwhile spending an extra $80 to $100 for a different model or not? I know the FTW3 is one of the top tier models for the 1080 Ti but they cost around $550 on eBay, that's $150 more than the Black Edition.

Should I go ahead and just buy the EVGA 1080 Ti Black Edition before he sells it? I'll be upgrading from an RTX 2060 I don't care at all for RTX Technology by the way and I'll be using it just for gaming at 1080p.

Appreciate the input guys.
Thanks

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Seems almost overkill, for 1080P, honestly. Unless AAA have gotten that bad as far as requirements. What refresh rate is your monitor? 240Hz? Edit: I see, 144Hz. Still, can't your RTX 2060 push 144Hz on 1080P? (Without RTX BS.)

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Seems almost overkill, for 1080P, honestly. Unless AAA have gotten that bad as far as requirements. What refresh rate is your monitor? 240Hz? Edit: I see, 144Hz. Still, can't your RTX 2060 push 144Hz on 1080P? (Without RTX BS.)
You'd be surprised how demanding COD WW2 and the new MW are on my RTX 2060 at 1080p. I agree on the overkill now that you mention it but I mean for $400 (+$10 shipping) its a great deal. I can always upgrade the monitor to 1440p in the future. I might not even end up buying it the guy hasn't replied back yet. Guess will see tomorrow if he does.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I mean, I'm not trying to discourage you from getting it, that sounds like a decent deal, but maybe buying a 2070 Super for $500 with warranty might be better. Turing has the mixed FP + int simultaneous processing, that prior generations lacked, and in some modern game engines, that's worth some performance.

I actually wanted a 2070 Super, but I settled for a GTX 1660 ti, mostly for the cheapest GDDR6 card for mining purposes, and then I ended up getting another one, so in the end, I could probably have afforded a 2070 Super if I had budgeted properly. Still, they are decent, if budget, cards.

Your 2060 is a step above them.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
I mean, I'm not trying to discourage you from getting it, that sounds like a decent deal, but maybe buying a 2070 Super for $500 with warranty might be better. Turing has the mixed FP + int simultaneous processing, that prior generations lacked, and in some modern game engines, that's worth some performance.
I understand but if I get the 2070 Super that would be $200 over my budget. Its a bit too much. Honestly gonna sound super dumb but I just play very few games constantly like COD WW2 (100 hours in 2 months), Rust (2k Hours) and gonna be playing the new Modern Warfare some Assassins Creed Odyssey, the new Far Cry games Primal/5/New Dawn, also Ghost Recon Wildlands and that's a bout it other than some other random game I'll play every now and then like Batman Arkham City or some other junk lol

Honestly WW2 on High settings is pretty demanding on some parts of the map and I could barely play the Modern Warfare beta in the big maps with constant low FPS. Other than that my Computer performs great I know it has no issues, just some games are kinda demanding.

Honestly My post is kinda redundant as I searched online for other Cheap GTX 1080 Ti and there is very few deals under $500. I am going to pull the trigger on this one as soon as the guy replies to me. Sorry for even making this thread lol, feel dumb now.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Sorry for even making this thread lol, feel dumb now.
No, not at all. Don't feel bad, for asking for opinions. I make plenty of "dumb threads" myself, all the time. I mean, I help people with stuff that I'm at least minimally knowledgeable about, but I certainly don't know everything, far from it, and there's a lot of intelligent people here, that I can learn from, including you.

The only threads that I might consider actually "dumb", are ones that could be answered in 5 minutes in a Google / web search, and I've done those kinds of threads too, because I'm just lazy.

So don't apologize, no need.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
No, not at all. Don't feel bad, for asking for opinions. I make plenty of "dumb threads" myself, all the time. I mean, I help people with stuff that I'm at least minimally knowledgeable about, but I certainly don't know everything, far from it, and there's a lot of intelligent people here, that I can learn from, including you.

The only threads that I might consider actually "dumb", are ones that could be answered in 5 minutes in a Google / web search, and I've done those kinds of threads too, because I'm just lazy.

So don't apologize, no need.
Okay right on. Appreciate it.
Wish the guy would reply back already.
(EDITED)

Last edited:

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Hey VirtualLarry ended up buying the card today. Paid $420 for it shipped. Pretty excited! gonna spend another $15/$20 and get it shipped back to EVGA so they can confirm nothing is tampered with that voids the warranty and I'll be good to go. I had that happened before, card was working but I sent it to get it checked out at EVGA and turns out it worked but was damaged by previous owner so warranty was void. Ended up getting a refund for it.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'd get a second or third opinion here on shipping it back to EVGA just for that, to confirm warranty eligibility. You should be able to do that via serial number, and posting detailed high-res pics here, people should be able to tell you if the card was tampered with.

I just think of the parable about "not waking sleeping dragons", and whether EVGA has a policy of just shipping out refurb cards to those that come in, versus actually fixing or looking at end-user's particular cards, and shipping the same exact one back.

I mean, EVGA is known for having exemplary customer service, and if that's a service that they said that they could provide, then sure, I guess... but I would probably just "wing it" myself, and post pictures and ask for advice here, rather than go out of my way to pay EVGA.

Edit: Take my advice with a BIG grain of salt, I've never dealt with EVGA support personally, so perhaps my fears are ill-founded, but I just like to minimize risks, when possible.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
I'd get a second or third opinion here on shipping it back to EVGA just for that, to confirm warranty eligibility. You should be able to do that via serial number, and posting detailed high-res pics here, people should be able to tell you if the card was tampered with.

I just think of the parable about "not waking sleeping dragons", and whether EVGA has a policy of just shipping out refurb cards to those that come in, versus actually fixing or looking at end-user's particular cards, and shipping the same exact one back.

I mean, EVGA is known for having exemplary customer service, and if that's a service that they said that they could provide, then sure, I guess... but I would probably just "wing it" myself, and post pictures and ask for advice here, rather than go out of my way to pay EVGA.

Edit: Take my advice with a BIG grain of salt, I've never dealt with EVGA support personally, so perhaps my fears are ill-founded, but I just like to minimize risks, when possible.
Okay will keep this in mind. Thank you.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Man the RTX 2070 Super really outperforms or performs on par with the GTX 1080ti? that's crazy! but that's another $100 over my budget and the GTX 1080ti is still beast. I just need if for 1080p and will only be playing a few games lol. Like COD WW2 the new MW, Rust and then some other random games so I think the 1080ti is going to be perfect.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
Man the RTX 2070 Super really outperforms or performs on par with the GTX 1080ti? that's crazy! but that's another $100 over my budget and the GTX 1080ti is still beast. I just need if for 1080p and will only be playing a few games lol. Like COD WW2 the new MW, Rust and then some other random games so I think the 1080ti is going to be perfect.
I know nvidia and all but why not a 5700xt at $410?

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
I know nvidia and all but why not a 5700xt at $410?
Because you lose around 10FPS for $50 less. On a different note tho I think I am going to sell my GTX 1080ti when it arrives and just going to invest on the RTX 2070 Super that will give me room to upgrade to 1440p in the future as well.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Because you lose around 10FPS for $50 less. On a different note tho I think I am going to sell my GTX 1080ti when it arrives and just going to invest on the RTX 2070 Super that will give me room to upgrade to 1440p in the future as well.
Don't underestimate the 1080ti! It will handle 1440p just find. Of course the RTX 2070 will too, but you don't have to rush.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Anytime something is "overkill" for 1080p just use DSR or some other method of SSAA to downsample a 4K image to use the extra performance.

Its a great way to make sure all that extra pixel pushing power doesn't go to waste and you get really high quality AA and image quality. Been doing that with my 980 TI when I play older games.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Anytime something is "overkill" for 1080p just use DSR or some other method of SSAA to downsample a 4K image to use the extra performance.

Its a great way to make sure all that extra pixel pushing power doesn't go to waste and you get really high quality AA and image quality. Been doing that with my 980 TI when I play older games.
Had to google it I didn't know about that going to have to try it.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Had to google it I didn't know about that going to have to try it.

-Yep, its great. Its the reason marketing screenshots for games look so much nicer than when you're playing the actual game: the screenshots were captured at some absurdly high resolution, then "squished" into a much smaller image.

DSR is Nvidia's implementation built right into their drivers. It will render your game at, for example, 4K but output that 4k Image on your 1080P monitor, so you get really crisp lines and if the game supports it some really high quality textures.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
-Yep, its great. Its the reason marketing screenshots for games look so much nicer than when you're playing the actual game: the screenshots were captured at some absurdly high resolution, then "squished" into a much smaller image.

DSR is Nvidia's implementation built right into their drivers. It will render your game at, for example, 4K but output that 4k Image on your 1080P monitor, so you get really crisp lines and if the game supports it some really high quality textures.
Man I never knew about this lol sounds pretty great. How bad is performance affected generally?

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Man I never knew about this lol sounds pretty great. How bad is performance affected generally?

- As bad as just running the game at the higher resolution. Its definitely "expensive" from a performance perspective (all these other AA modes are just trying to get as close to SSAA image quality with less of a performance hit), but if the difference is 200 fps vs 100 fps and the best your monitor can do is 60hz (for simplicity's sake, 60 FPS) then why not do it?